Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Spark Silver 2.5x Premium; FB25 w/ 170HP, 174lb-ft
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power steering fluid level is below minimum on my 'new to me' 2011 Subaru Forester. A simple thing to pick up some fluid and pour it in to top it off I thought.

I checked the manual and this is what it says:
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

So I went on my local auto parts shop here in Canada and found this:
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid Font

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

Did I get the right one? Do I put this ATF into my 2011 Subaru Forester to top off the low Power Steering level???

Thank-you...

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
678 Posts
You should be good!

The nice thing about Subaru using ATF, is it is relatively cheap if you want to flush the system, and put fresh fluid in there. The mineral oil based stuff is sold in small bottles and is as much or more than a quart of ATF.

And regular ATF is compatible with synthetic ATF if you want better cold weather cold start performance. (No growling noises)

But if it is low from leaking, you'll want to avoid synthetic until any leaks are fixed. Synthetic will find small openings much better than conventional oil.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
678 Posts
Manufactures have use it for years, but have switched back and forth between ATF and mineral based fluid here and there, leading to confusion.

Unfortunately the mineral based and the ATF are not compatible. I bought a car back in the 1980's that someone had mixed the two. It literally looked like vomit in the PS pump reservoir.

The solution is to flush the system with mineral spirits, then flush with ATF to clear the mineral spirits out. You can make a mineral based system an ATF based system this way.

ATF is a better lubricant...

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,009 Posts
The power steering system is probably the least demanding hydraulic system on the car. It uses hydraulic oil. That's what the Dexron III oil is, hydraulic oil designed for you transmission. I buy the store brand of Dexron III transmission fluid and change out fluid from the reservoir every time I change engine oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts