Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Manual
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, much appreciate any help. For the more mechanical savvy out there, what am I looking at? It’s directly between the wheels almost dead center. Leak appears to be coming from the red circled area.
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
I would replace all fasteners. bolts, nuts and clamps. Looks like they’re not holding anymore. Spray area clean and wipe using brake cleaner spray.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 all of the above, almost --

Spray clean with brake cleaner, diassemble removing all clamps and detaching hoses;
clean up all parts, replace clamps and, if room, double clamp the tube-to-hose connections
Thread sealer on all threaded connectors using a flare wrench to tighten well.

Keep an eye on the connections.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,084 Posts
Thread sealer for a flared fitting? I thought the sealing action was at the flare interface, not through the threads.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You do it your way, l do it mine.
What others did there before me, I do not know.
And never do these fittings leak? They look to be leaking in the photo, to me.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Manual
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@08subfor , @Kevin hey guys two additional questions,

1. would stop leak have any effect or be worth it if tightening and clamping things down doesn’t seem to work?

2. if changing the center differential on my manual, would the mechanic have to remove this Power steering component or loosen the hoses etc? Just curious as I was able to tighten the bolts or whatever and they did seem loose.
Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
@Standardordie
1. I would not put that stuff anywhere in my vehicle unless I was in the middle of nowhere and it was an emergency ;)
2. Not required to be removed on an SG, not sure about your SH

·
Registered
2011 Forester Manual
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Theseus161 do you know if there are o rings or something behind the bolts that plug the hard lines into the power steering? I snugged the bolts up a bit and the fluid is still getting through.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
There is one o ring. If the rubber lines are old or the hard lines damaged in any way, the leak will not stop. Don’t add any Stop leak type chemicals. They don’t work.

Use a worm clamp instead of the constant tension clamps on the hard lines. Did you open the rubber boot? See what’s going on underneath?

I would replace all of the parts where it’s leaking. Boot, clamps and maybe the hose.

Subaru sells a rack and pinion seal kit. Not sure if it’s applicable to your situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts