Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2011 Touring with < 40,000 miles. Still going over the owners manual and curious as to what the best motor oil to use for optimum performance. I live in Maine and winters are hard. Would appreciate any advice! Also any thoughts on the touring model itself.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,336 Posts
Less than 40k miles - nice find!
For the 2011 Forester Subaru recommends 0W20 synthetic for the non-turbo and 5W30 for the turbo, so that's what I would use.

·
Registered
09 forester
241 Posts
IMHO Mobil-1. I find the volotility very low, Since I switched to Mobil-1 about 20 years ago, I stopped having PCV clogging or throttle body build up. Other 100% synthetics might be just as good, but I like Mobile-1, and you get the 5qt container in Walmart for $23. I tried Amsoil for about 5 years, and found heavy buildup in the PCV system.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,744 Posts
Drop the pan and drain any sludge.
With such low miles, it is possible the vehicle has only been used for short trips where it hasn't had a chance to properly warm up the oil. Do this enough times and you can end up with a sludge issue.
Personally, I like: Millers, Fuchs, Shell.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
182 Posts
I agree with being alert to any prior sludge but would just put in one of the premium synthetics known to be able to remove some prior sludge, i.e. Pennzoil, Castrol, maybe Valvoline. I have used Castrol for over 30 years with always excellent results myself.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,927 Posts
@Tonka - Welcome aboard.
Asking which oil is best is similar to asking which religion or political party is best.
Oil in a car tends to have an emotional component for some reason.
IMHO, the most important thing about oil is to use a viscosity appropriate for your climate conditions and change it when it gets dirty.
Under normal driving situations, are you going to notice a difference?
Probably not, but you may be able to convince yourself that Wizbang oil makes your car run better from the placebo effect, and if you feel better about your car, that may be worth something.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,162 Posts
Please do a search. The topic of oil has been covered exhaustively. Another 'best oil' thread just creates clutter. Especially because there is no such thing.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,162 Posts
If the universe ever runs out of electrons it will because of their use in "best oil" threads
Indeed. I cannot fathom the amount of energy consumed. Or total bytes of storage occupied by such threads.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,744 Posts
If the universe ever runs out of electrons it will because of their use in "best oil" threads
Don't forget "What's the best tyres" and "What's the best car shampoo/polish/wax" and ofcourse "What's the best exhaust" threads too......

New oils/tyres are developed and released to market over time, as well as older products improved, so older threads aren't always so relevant anymore

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
717 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 Touring with < 40,000 miles. Still going over the owners manual and curious as to what the best motor oil to use for optimum performance. I live in Maine and winters are hard.
Don't know about 'for optimum performnce,' but for engine longevity - suggest changing the oil according to the severe service intervals in the owners manual - about 2x as often as most.

Best motor oil - I believe it's established that most engine wear occurs during start-up when there is not yet oil pressure; so, choosing a less viscose oil should get oil to the bearings and rings quicker when engine is cold.

Hope you stick around the forum and participate.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
86 Posts
I'd like to weigh in here with a suggestion on "OIL". Rotella gas truck 0w20. Don't worry, it isn't for trucks. It could be used for Cars too. It is fully synthetic.

Reactions: Stanjk3

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 Touring with < 40,000 miles. Still going over the owners manual and curious as to what the best motor oil to use for optimum performance. I live in Maine and winters are hard. Would appreciate any advice! Also any thoughts on the touring model itself.
Use whatever weight oil your owners manual says and as far as brand I have used Mobil 1 Extended Service for years and it allows you to go 12 months or 12,000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Forester XT Auto CVT
11 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 for years, and for some reason long trips up to the mountain, I started getting smells of burnt oil. I didn't have any leaks or spillage but I could smell it. So I switched back to Subaru oil but hated the cost. Now I run Idemitsu which is relatively affordable via Amazon, plus it's the same stuff as Subaru.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts