Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium Automatic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

Any idea what this hose is called? I'd like to get it replaced.

Thanks!

-Boe

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
looks like its a cheap and easy fix!
Maybe not ^^^^^.

From the picture, it looks like a stupid molded hose with different diameters at each end. If so, it's an OEM part (ch-ching). If it is just a straight hose (same diameter at each end) then just get reinforced fuel hose or PCV hose at an auto-parts store.

If this hose goes to the PCV valve (lower terminus), then it is a vacuum line. If it leaks, either from a crack or loose fitting ends or whatever, it will adversely affect your mileage.

While you're in the replacing business, look at your other vacuum lines - there are a slug of them on a Subaru. One by one, replace them with reinforced fuel line. If you're patient and methodical, you can really tighten up the vacuum system in your engine, which will pay big dividends.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
Maybe not ^^^^^.
true, with a subaru it could be anybodies guess as to the ease (think turbo inlet nightmare, lol). i was just assuming so based on the $11 mention in the link and then how hose diagram pic seems to be the same wildcard oem piece with some heat protection on it.

id imagine (tough to tell even when zoomed into pic) theres a clamp pf some sort at the bottom, on the pcv valve, since i also think its vacuum. surprised there isnt one on top. dont know, hah.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium Automatic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got (what I hope is) the hose ordered. $8 part - $14 shipping. The alternative would be to drive to the closest (an hour away) dealership but if it fixes my check engine light issues, it'll be well worth the expense.

Thanks again for the help and I'll post again if it doesn't provide harmony.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
Got (what I hope is) the hose ordered. $8 part - $14 shipping. The alternative would be to drive to the closest (an hour away) dealership but if it fixes my check engine light issues, it'll be well worth the expense. Thanks again for the help and I'll post again if it doesn't provide harmony.
Just curious, what CEL code were you getting?

Not trying to spend your money, but you need a (relatively) inexpensive OBD-II reader/eraser. Subarus throw a lot of arcane CEL codes for equally arcane reasons. Maybe it's a feature? My Actron Pocket Scan can be had on eBay for ~$30-40, maybe less. Modern cars need modern gizmos so they can talk with their owners.

Final thought: even if the cracked hose is the spot-on fix, you will still need to reset the CEL. Without an OBD-II scanner, you've got to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so - a PITA. So, get a scanner.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester X Touring
719 Posts
i just ordered a scanner from amazon for $17 that connects to your phone via bluetooth (I paid more to get one from a canadian store). you can actually get them for $10 if you are willing to wait a month to recieve it from china. they work great, I had one before but lost it so I just ordered another. There is a free app for android called torque. you can get the full version for $5 but the free version lets you read codes and erase them, plus use your phone as a display for all sorts of gauges. I think the paid version just disables a startup ad. I am pretty sure there is a similar app for iphone too.

here is one seller on amazon.ca for an example. the little blue one is the one I had before and ordered again.

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Mini-ELM327-Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B00WW51DZW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1446072996&sr=8-4&keywords=elm+327+bluetooth+scanner[/ame]

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,036 Posts
Revived thread, parts number/illustration?

Good morning!

Any idea what this hose is called? I'd like to get it replaced.

(photos deleted here by bingow, they do not transfer in quote at original posted size...why???)

Thanks!

-Boe
I also think it's the PCV valve, and this is what I'm working on with the SubaruPartsGirl at the moment. When I quoted the op in full (to include the 2 photos, on preview they were enlarged totally out of scale and were of no use. Anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,524 Posts
after the last of my 3 engine block swaps I wound up with blue tape on that exact hose in that exact spot. weird

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,036 Posts
SubaruPartsGirl has verified that it is the PCV valve ($13) with its cracked "#1 hose" ($9.19). Am in process of ordering both. Those prices appear to be forum member discounts.

Anyway, this PVC valve looks like a decent DIY challenge: it's in sort of a manifold 'black hole', with very little maneuvering room for anything but a special socket, eyeballed at maybe 19mm. Other posts have mentioned 24mm for earlier Foz's, and that it required a bit of muscle to break loose. Anyone else done a DIY PCV valve replacement on the FB25?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
34 Posts
Bumping this old thread, my 2011 also has a large crack on this hose and am going to replace it. I noticed some oil on the line, is that a sign of a stuck PCV valve? Might replace that too, as there is almost 100k on the vehicle, just looking for thoughts on this before I order parts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts