Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I have a 2011 Forester x premium. Normally, I am able to start the car when it is in Park, After changing the battery my car wont start unless I step on the brake. If I dont step on it, car just keeps cranking but wont start. Anybody ever had this problem before? Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
407 Posts
Pure speculation: Is it just talking a while for it to start? (after you changed the battery, it's like clearing the codes, it takes a few seconds for it to figure out what's going on and actually start)

Did this happen just one time?

Or is it consistently the case? When the engine has started and you shut it off (by turning the key to off) it won't start back up until you step on the brake?

I've heard of the safety feature that a vehicle won't crank unless you step on the brake. But I've never heard of a vehicle not actually starting (but cranking) without stepping on the brake.

If the security light on after you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "running" position (but don't turn it all the way to "start")?

Do you have a remote starter installed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I installed the new battery, I tried starting it twice, it just kept cranking. After an hour, it would still crank but not start. When the tow truck driver came, he stepped on the brake and like magic the car started. It was like that for 2 days, I had to step on the brake to start it. Now, it starts without me stepping on the brake. It just fixed itself. I tried bringing it to my mechanic, he said nothing was wrong and he even checked electrical.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
602 Posts
When I installed the new battery, I tried starting it twice, it just kept cranking.
I think @GuusV is right:

If you take the battery out, the car forgets what codes were set but also how things are set.
From what I've seen with our Subaru's, they become quite hard to start initially. It takes three of four start cycles before it even runs for me.
Besides that (and other things), it needs to relearn its throttle position so tends to run like crap.

So maybe it finally relearned its optimum settings and now runs fine again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts