Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and it needs an engine. I understand this is a "VIN B" car and it has a manual transmission....that is about all I know right now which is why I've joined this forum. I've never owned a Subaru, but this car is going to be a project for my kid & I for her 1st car. I don't even have a picture of it.
Is a VIN B engine the FB25B? Is this the same as a JDM FB25 from one of the Japanese importers?
One more question...any other engines to consider swapping in if that's an option?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
746 Posts
Welcome.
Yes. you have the FB25B. Yes its the same engine as the jdm ones, just tuned for u.s. emissions, if you use the ecu..that's all...I think. Some one else can chime in for more info on that.

As for options... well all depends on Time and Money. Can you stuff a twin turbo V8 in there? maybe...if you have the....time and money.. LOL
There is always the XT option. But that requires a bit more work and extra parts.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your question but this might be worth a read. It appears there are differences between years 2011 - Bought engine from JDM importer, mismatch, looks...

You may need to decipher your VIN to find out the Model Year as there appears to be variations...... Do you have your current blown engine as you might need some sensors or even intake manifold off of it to work with the new engine.......

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. TMX, yes, the car the car is complete. Apparently lost it's oil drain plug on the highway... I won't see it until this weekend maybe when we drag it home.

Looking at expanding my engine search options - Legacy, Outback, JDM....Are all FB25 longblocks the same regardless of auto/manual, PZEV, LEV, Cali emissions, etc.
I see the coil height difference...swapping sensors or whatever from the siezed engine sounds easy enough.

I found another thread on another forum where they used a '14 Legacy engine in a '11 Forester with the '11 harness. Just had to address the coils, swap 2 sensors, and engine mounts. However, they had a PZEV (VIN C) to begin with. I'm guessing that the apparent emissions differences are just in the ECU & exhaust? Is there a good breakdown somewhere of all the FB25 variant differences?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,066 Posts
Not being in California or even remotely nearby, I really don't have much knowledge on the PZEV thing other than the intake was slightly modified vs the non-PZEV setup

I would hope somone like @2.5x_sleeper could create a linking thread to this in an area with more traffic so you get more responses.

I know on the earlier EJ series engines, there was a timing belt guide for the manuals that was non-existent for the automatics but since your FB has a timing chain, I can't see them adding a guide for the manuals.

That's a shame about the oil pan, I wonder if it is just the shortblock that is dead and the heads might still be of use? Although I imagine perhaps not since the timing chain would be lubed by the engine oil and that interacts with the heads and AVCS/AVLS etc.....

Since you're going to the hassle of the engine swap, I wonder if it is worth looking into the FB20 to see if that is more reliable vs the FB25 version, just like the EJ20 is more reliable than the EJ25 ? Especially with the odd thread cropping up about head gasket failure on the FB25 Although the ECU map might be all wrong and I'm not even sure if the FB-series engine ECUs would be remappable, much like how the non turbo EJ series engine ECUs were not really mappable too........

Sorry if that raises more questions than answers but perhaps some ideas to ponder while you're researching ?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,836 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,066 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper ; Although the 168 views you state, the responses have been extremely limited and with you being a forum admin and probably frequent the forum more than I, you might have some ideas where to place a linking thread so the OP can get more experienced responses with regards to the FB25 engine query. I figured being an admin you browse all sections and have an idea of who might be worthy of tagging to get their views........Or not..

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,836 Posts
@TMX this thread is in the correct sub-forum for a normal engine replacement... like for like. Perhaps it could be in the "Motor Conversions" sub-forum, but that's usually for something like 2.5 to 2.0 engine swaps. Perhaps @Kevin will chime in. ;)

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts