Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my daughter a 2010 with 2.5XT turbo. I’m new in the Subaru family and turbo chargers. Can she run regular unleaded in this car? If she does what issues could she have. She’s a college student and not interested in spending another 70-80 cents a gallon on premium.

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
I would go with the manufacturers recommendation for that vehicle (which I am sure is not regular gas!)

Our ratings are different (RON) over here and I run "Premium 95" in my non-turbo; I won't use Regular. Premium 98 is used over here for XT's

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
I would not. These vehicles are prone to ringland failure enough as it is.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,959 Posts
@Mwteunis from the 2010 Owner's Manual - section 7, page 2 - Starting & Operating:

Turbo models - The 2.5-liter turbo engine is designed to operate using premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher. If premium unleaded gasoline is not available, regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be temporarily used. For optimum engine performance and driveability, it is required that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline.
NOTE - Be sure to use premium unleaded gasoline of 91 AKI or higher for turbo engine models. If other gasoline (lower than 91 AKI) is used, knocking, reduced output and poor accelerator response will result.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts