Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3750 miles is recommended. Is this excessive? I also have a VW Tiguan, similar setup AWD, turbo and it can go 10,000 miles. Will I void my warranty if I just put in synthetic and go 5-10,000 miles? Can I go anywhere to get the oil change, or possibly even do it myself and still keep the warranty?

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
You can change it yourself. Just document the mileage and date..good idea to save the receipts. Technically you don't have to stick to the prescribed interval. Subaru must prove your longer interval caused damage. But having said that, I wouldn't go 10K miles without a used oil analysis.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Follow the book on the 3750 mi. Don't need Synthetic oil. Most mfg will not give you longer change intervals with synthetic oil. Filter is an issue as well.
Do your own changes if you want to save money, but as said, keep all purchase receipts and keep a log of dates and milages.
Turbos cause interval problems. I just bought a new FTX. Gotta just live with it.

My other car is a Boxster...It's good for 10,000 oil change interval, but annual is also recommended and I only drive it 5000 per year. 10 qt of Synthetic costs around $80 with filter for a DIY change. Twice that by a good aftermarket shop. Sooooo, the FTX isn't so bad afterall.

Bob

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
3500 on a NA is wastefull unless you are time limited instead of mileage. Run 10w30 CJ-4 rotella to 5K no problems at all. Best dino out there - BY FAR.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
3750 miles is recommended. Is this excessive? I also have a VW Tiguan, similar setup AWD, turbo and it can go 10,000 miles. Will I void my warranty if I just put in synthetic and go 5-10,000 miles? Can I go anywhere to get the oil change, or possibly even do it myself and still keep the warranty?
yea its a PITA, they threw the turbo reason at me, but my sisters saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo goes 12,000 between oil changes... Although its a very strict guideline for which type of synthetic you can use....

IDK why ours don't recommend synthetic so they can elongate the service intervals....

My dealer will do them for $30 a pop (I can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 at BJ's for that price)... and they are paying for 1/2 the changes until 50,000 miles because they lied to me and told me 7,500 the interval and that the 3750 was only for people who were "meticulous and liked to do it often" during the sales process....
at ~4,500 miles when i popped open the owners manual and found the fine print section about turbo Subaru (after getting into an argument with someone online about it) :shake: ... went to the dealer and was a little bit angry (mostly because i had already had an engine failure at this point & was feeling like this car was going to be a LOT more maintenance intensive than what I was hoping for in a Japanese vehicle.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts