Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have been looking to purchase a forester and wanted some input on cruising at 80. i plan on taking long trips and i typically put cruise on at 80 mph. how is the noise at this spped? wind noise, engine noise etc?

thanks

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I haven't noticed anything unrealistic, nor has the Mrs. complained. This is my first SUV and I have owned many cars, from sports cars to high end lux sport sedans, and I feel the noise level is OK. You have to realize that the rear cargo area is wide open as opposed to have a dedicated trunk which will create more noise. Several people here have used dynamat and rammat (sound deadening material) to quite down the FOZ, which would be nice, but it is OK for me in its stock delivery form. I would suggest going to a dealer and tell them of your typical driving scenario and ask if you could take the vehicle, with the salesman, for a long hwy drive. That way you will know for sure..........only you can tell whats acceptable to you. BTW my obeservations are based on the fact that I really do not do many long hwy drives........but I have been on a several, max time in the FOZ maybe 1.5 - 2hours.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,488 Posts
It is louder than a sedan, that is certain. But it isn't louder than other vehicles like it (rav4, crv etc). The BMW X3 has a finer finish, but hey, this isn't a BMW. With a bit of sound deadening/dampening and a good stereo you will be just fine. If you want to cruise and listen to the roar of the motor, you might need to look at a different vehicle.

Here is a comparison: we have an Impreza and a Forester, and they sound about the same. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is louder than a sedan, that is certain. But it isn't louder than other vehicles like it (rav4, crv etc). The BMW X3 has a finer finish, but hey, this isn't a BMW. With a bit of sound deadening/dampening and a good stereo you will be just fine. If you want to cruise and listen to the roar of the motor, you might need to look at a different vehicle.

Here is a comparison: we have an Impreza and a Forester, and they sound about the same. Hope that helps.
cool i plan on adding some sound deadener and a stereo to it. im sure it will be perfectly fine. i have a loud car for the weekends jsut wanted something fairly quiet for everyday. thanks for the input

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
cool i plan on adding some sound deadener and a stereo to it. im sure it will be perfectly fine. i have a loud car for the weekends jsut wanted something fairly quiet for everyday. thanks for the input
I have an 04 and my friend has an 06 forester. He got a '10 as a loaner from the dealer. We were both incredibly impressed by how much smoother and quieter it was in general. Not quite at the legacy/outback level, but much better than the old frameless ones (in terms of road noise/wind etc).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would suggest taking it out for a test drive and get it up to speed and judge for yourself. My '10 is louder than my Malibu is but like Hot09XTsaid it is mainly from the back end being open. It's nothing that bugs me right now.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
I do a lot of drives in my 2010 and have very little road noise. I did spray coating underneath the car and it really, really, really helped with the tire/road noise. I am amazed at how quiet it runs with the moon roof fully open and the visability is excellent.

others have posted about rattles in the doors and other places, but I don't have a single rattle (7000 miles)

It still is not real comfortable, but only the Toyota Rav4 and the Venza (+ Outback) come close to it in comfort in it's class. I like being able to go off road and down I-5.

If you are comfortable in the driver's seat it should be a great car for you.

SBS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts