Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2010 XT about 2 weeks ago, and have spent about a week looking over many posts (really some great information here).

Friday night, I was driving home and all the indicators (e.g. Check Engine, Oil, Cruise Control, etc.) suddenly illuminated on my dash. About a second later, my engine completely died.

I stopped, turned my car off, and sat with the hazards going for a few minutes, before deciding to try turning the car back on. The car turned on, but the Check Engine light was still illuminated and the Cruise Control light was flashing, as were a few other lights (I haven't used the Cruise Control yet, as I'm still under the 1,000 mile break in period). Anyways, I got a tow to the local Subaru dealership to get the car looked at. Since they were just about closed, they said it would most likely be Monday before they were able to look at it.

Thankfully, my car is still under warranty, but I'm a little weary now that the car is already having problems after 2 weeks and ~200 miles. Has anyone had this happen, or heard of something like this? I'm guessing it's a problem with the electrical? I'm afraid my new Forester is a lemon, but have my hopes up that this isn't something serious...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
2010 209 miles

We have a 2010 and at 209 miles while driving the AT Oil Temp Light started flashing and the Stability Control Light, and the AntiLock Brake Light came on all at the same time. Took them about 10 days to determine that the Transmission Control Wiring Harness had "High Resistance". No codes were recorded by the computer and the transmission would act a little strange sometimes, but it was drive-able. The mechanic had to drive the car with the diagnostic computer hooked up until it repeated the problem and then take a snapshot. They drove it about 160 miles altogether. The diagnostic showed a "failed communication". I know they talked to Subaru a few times to figure it out. Everything is fine now with about 600 miles and no further problems.

We weren't happy with the thought of a new car with problems, but to their credit they figured it out and fixed it, and apologized extensively.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a 2010 and at 209 miles while driving the AT Oil Temp Light started flashing and the Stability Control Light, and the AntiLock Brake Light came on all at the same time. Took them about 10 days to determine that the Transmission Control Wiring Harness had "High Resistance". No codes were recorded by the computer and the transmission would act a little strange sometimes, but it was drive-able. The mechanic had to drive the car with the diagnostic computer hooked up until it repeated the problem and then take a snapshot. They drove it about 160 miles altogether. The diagnostic showed a "failed communication". I know they talked to Subaru a few times to figure it out. Everything is fine now with about 600 miles and no further problems.

We weren't happy with the thought of a new car with problems, but to their credit they figured it out and fixed it, and apologized extensively.

Thanks--I really appreciate the info. I'm going to call in today and get a status update on everything going on, and if they haven't identified the problem I'll pass along your information. I'll keep you updated on what I find out!

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
We have a 2010 and at 209 miles while driving the AT Oil Temp Light started flashing and the Stability Control Light, and the AntiLock Brake Light came on all at the same time. Took them about 10 days to determine that the Transmission Control Wiring Harness had "High Resistance".
Same thing happen to my wifes 09 Legacy when it was one month old. Transmission and differentials were making loud noise (like they're hit with a hammer) with each upshift/downshift. Dealer had no idea what's wrong and they were waiting for answer from Subaru headquarters. Took them 7-10 days to fix it. They told us it's transmission harness - something to do with temperature sensor which gave false readings.

I hope the dealer gave you a rental car.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,679 Posts
Flashing cruise control light is just Subaru's way of saying they won't let you use cruise control when there's a CEL condition. It's a safety thing, since the engine might tend to behave in an unexpected fashion; it has nothing necessarily to do with a cruise control malfunction.

Not that this was the largest of your worries, but just as an FYI.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I just called the dealer and they believe that the battery was really low (odd-no idea why) and that this was the cause of the electrical problems. They plan to charge it overnight and believe this will take care of the problems. Does this diagnosis make sense?

·
Administrator
19,679 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

I just called the dealer and they believe that the battery was really low (odd-no idea why) and that this was the cause of the electrical problems. They plan to charge it overnight and believe this will take care of the problems. Does this diagnosis make sense?
Does this make sense? Kinda, sorta. But it begs the next question, which of course is "Why?"

Absent anything really bad that might have happened during your two weeks, it certainly looks like they could have sold you a car with a bad battery or a bad alternator. Any idea how long it might have been sitting on the lot? Or just taken around town on very brief test drives?

·
Administrator
19,679 Posts
By the way, welcome! We're glad to have you here, and we hope that our future dealings with you can involve happy Forester experiences!

Looking at your profile does raise one significant question: Which Portland? I don't yet know whether to add the customary "Subaru, the official car of New England!" to my greeting, or whether to turn you over to the west coast bunch! And you can us help you by filling out the vital details of your Forester in your signature. Year, model, transmission type ought to do it just fine. That way it will show up automatically on all your posts, and we can fine tune any advice on questions you might have in the future. You can get to all these settings by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar at the top of every page.

There's more useful info available in the sticky threads over at the New Member Introductions Forum.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,154 Posts
I had same problem last year around 6000 miles...check my thread...there is a videlo

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/oil-temp-abs-vdc-lights-all-56664/index2.html

The dealer replaced valve body and all the sensors come with it...

I believe there six sensors with the valve body.

one more thing, you need to contact SOA all the time...even ask for supervisor...

Because I got contacted when I got my car back by two people, senior rep and some kind manager...and even offered me subaru gold warranty plan 7/100 (most expensive one) for free...

I already put 7000 more miles on, no problem...anyway, good luck...keep us update

I need to add one more thing, tell the dealer to contact SUBARU TECHLINE, I am pretty sure they know the solution.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does this make sense? Kinda, sorta. But it begs the next question, which of course is "Why?"

Absent anything really bad that might have happened during your two weeks, it certainly looks like they could have sold you a car with a bad battery or a bad alternator. Any idea how long it might have been sitting on the lot? Or just taken around town on very brief test drives?
I can't imagine that I did anything to the car in the 2 week period--nothing out of the usual, just some casual driving (I work downtown, so I take public trans to work, hence my miles stay pretty low). I'm not sure how long the car had been on the lot. It was a dealer trade, so the majority of the miles on the car were driving it down from Tacoma, WA to Portland, OR.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, welcome! We're glad to have you here, and we hope that our future dealings with you can involve happy Forester experiences!

Looking at your profile does raise one significant question: Which Portland? I don't yet know whether to add the customary "Subaru, the official car of New England!" to my greeting, or whether to turn you over to the west coast bunch! And you can us help you by filling out the vital details of your Forester in your signature. Year, model, transmission type ought to do it just fine. That way it will show up automatically on all your posts, and we can fine tune any advice on questions you might have in the future. You can get to all these settings by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar at the top of every page.

There's more useful info available in the sticky threads over at the New Member Introductions Forum.
It's Portland, Oregon, so I guess I'm part of the west coast bunch :) Every third car seems to be a Subaru out here in Portland--no joke. I filled out my signature, so I hope it helps for future information! I, too, hope my future Forester experiences will be happy ones!

·
Administrator
19,679 Posts
Portland was almost named Boston. City founders Asa Lovejoy, who hailed from Boston, Mass., and Francis Pettygrove, of Portland, Maine, were each determined to name the new city after their respective hometowns. Unable to settle the argument, they decided to flip a coin, now known as the "Portland Penny" and on display at the Oregon Historical Society. Pettygrove won on two out of three tosses.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Portland was almost named Boston. City founders Asa Lovejoy, who hailed from Boston, Mass., and Francis Pettygrove, of Portland, Maine, were each determined to name the new city after their respective hometowns. Unable to settle the argument, they decided to flip a coin, now known as the "Portland Penny" and on display at the Oregon Historical Society. Pettygrove won on two out of three tosses.
Very interesting piece of information; really had no idea! By the way, nice tip on the new member forum--I was wondering what some of those acronyms stood for :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
If the battery was dead or defective, why did the car start up again?

At around 27k my Forester did the same thing, but it was the catalytic convertor that went bad or defective. It was replaced under warranty.

It is probably going to work out just fine. But, if I were you, I'd save my receipt just in case you need it later.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the battery was dead or defective, why did the car start up again?

At around 27k my Forester did the same thing, but it was the catalytic convertor that went bad or defective. It was replaced under warranty.

It is probably going to work out just fine. But, if I were you, I'd save my receipt just in case you need it later.
Good point. The car started up fine (three times, actually). I should find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,154 Posts
Did you call SOA?

Did you get case number from SOA?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,154 Posts
I haven't. Do you mean call SOA while it's still being looked at by the dealership?
YES...You really need to contact SOA to get them involved

They will contact the dealer...

When I took back to get AT light, VDC OFF etc., My dealer got at least 3 follow up phone calls from SOA...

everything is free under warranty, loaner car, gas, coffee...

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YES...You really need to contact SOA to get them involved

They will contact the dealer...

When I took back to get AT light, VDC OFF etc., My dealer got at least 3 follow up phone calls from SOA...

everything is free under warranty, loaner car, gas, coffee...
Thanks for the tip--I'll make sure to give them a call tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts