Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone pls tell me the right oil to use for my foz. should i switch to synthetic like mobil 1 5w 30 or use a regular subaru oil. i heard about how turbo needs a good oil. but heard also you need to wait till 12,000 miles before to switch synthetic. im sorry about the stupid question. the service guy at a local dealer said need to go mobil1 right away. thank you very much:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Stay away from Mobil 1 in the XT. Consider Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum. Whichever you choose stick with same for the long term and don't change brands every oil change.

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stay away from Mobil 1 in the XT. Consider Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum. Whichever you choose stick with same for the long term and don't change brands every oil change.
ok is there any reason why mobil 1 would be bad for my xt. i use castrol edge my last nissan frontier and it is awesome. thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Could be coincidence but for some reason an apparently inordinate quantity of XT's over the years that suffer spun bearings were running Mobil 1.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Full synthetic (Castrol Pro Synthetic 5w-40) was put in mine at the first 5000km service by the dealer with no ill effects. I assume it is done by all the Subaru dealers here in Oz.

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may want to talk to your service manager. I had to wait until 24k before switching to synthetic.
I use castrol edge 5W30 synthetic now.
thats the thing everybody say different things. just hoping to get clarification. before next week appointment on my first oil change.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Seriously RTFM but if you do the recommended 3750 intervals you're just wasting money on anything more than quality dino oil.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
I just changed over to Pennzoil Ultra. $28 for a 5qt jug at Wally World. I plan to get a sample analyzed by Blackstone Labs to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Seriously RTFM but if you do the recommended 3750 intervals you're just wasting money on anything more than quality dino oil.
But have you ever wondered if yours would still be burning the oil it does if you had gone to a premium synthetic. Here Subaru mandate full synthetic for turbos and I wonder if that has come about through experience?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,162 Posts
2,345 th post on what oil to use.

You can Use syn as soon as you take possession of the car. With a Turbo it would be possibly to use a True synthetic like RedLine, Amsoil, German Castrol, or Motul. All the other Synthetics are Group III. But as long as you are changing at less than 4K miles the other syns will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Mine burns oil?
I just assumed things hadn't changed since your #7 post on 04.03.2008 on the thread "Oil consumption" - "I'm at the bottom of the dipstick at 2K miles, 04 XT/MT I think high RPM downshifts & aggressive driving are the cause & it seems to be normal from what I've read......" and post #37 in the same thread where you said "If I didn't check my 04 every 2K or so it wouldn't even register on the dipstick."

Good to see that it has stopped using oil at that rate...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I just assumed things hadn't changed since your #7 post on 04.03.2008 on the thread "Oil consumption" - "I'm at the bottom of the dipstick at 2K miles, 04 XT/MT I think high RPM downshifts & aggressive driving are the cause & it seems to be normal from what I've read......" and post #37 in the same thread where you said "If I didn't check my 04 every 2K or so it wouldn't even register on the dipstick."

Good to see that it has stopped using oil at that rate...
Yeah it doesn't burn oil anymore for me because I don't have it anymore. :biggrin:\

Are you saying running a synthetic will solve this problem?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Yeah it doesn't burn oil anymore for me because I don't have it anymore. :biggrin:\

Are you saying running a synthetic will solve this problem?
No but it would be something to try. My XT is the first vehicle that I've used a synthetic oil on and it uses no oil at 126,000km - even when I did 14,000km without aa oil change towing my camper trailer across Australia and back at speeds of up to 160km/h.

I'm interested to see how long this situation lasts because I intend keeping my Foz for a long, long time.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Would an oil that meets VW 507 be better in general than one that does not?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,162 Posts
Would an oil that meets VW 507 be better in general than one that does not?
Maybe..maybe not. It costs money for a manufacturer to run these tests. And why would an American bother to meet the Specs for a German WV? I would be more concerned that GF-4 and SM specs were not adequate in a VW (Meaning..why would I buy one?)

Reminds me of the 73/74 ford pinto that needed to use special oils bc of engine design flaws.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
No but it would be something to try. My XT is the first vehicle that I've used a synthetic oil on and it uses no oil at 126,000km - even when I did 14,000km without aa oil change towing my camper trailer across Australia and back at speeds of up to 160km/h.

I'm interested to see how long this situation lasts because I intend keeping my Foz for a long, long time.
With a flat four engine, high speed cornering and high rev downshifts cause most of the oil consumption. Without some type of air/oil separator it's just part of high load operation.

If using high dollar synthetic with extended intervals makes you happy knock yourself out. I like to change mine at the recommended high load interval for $40 at the dealer and if necessary throw a 1/2 quart in if needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts