Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I purchased a 2010 Forester XT from California (no rust, yay!) with 15,500 miles - now up to 19,xxx. I made sure to check the CARFAX to see if maintenance was done properly (it appears to have been done so at dealerships). The prior owners only drove it about 1,000-2,000miles per year..which leads me to my actual issue/question:
Is it normal for the RPM's to go up and down slightly when idling? I have had the car turned on with both A/C/Air on and off (all electronics off), and have noticed the idling isn't perfectly constant.
The vehicle drives fine, but being such a low mileage car I'm wondering if maybe it has some sort of carbon build up from being in storage and not driven regularly? When I first bought it in 3/2021 - I did pour a can of BG 44k Platinum into it.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,612 Posts
fwiw - I think I had an old 4Runner that did that, it was the EGR valve. I replaced it myself. it was a flying saucer looking thing. I'm not a mechanic but maybe the intake manifold can use a cleaning? for my Son's '94 Camry, it was as simple as removing the airflow tube from the throttle & spraying some carb cleaner in there & wiping it with a cloth. that unit has 1 or 2 small holes, in the walls of the throttle body so I was sure to spray those. that car idled better afterwards. careful w/ that stuff, it's flammable! don't use a lot! good uck!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fwiw - I think I had an old 4Runner that did that, it was the EGR valve. I replaced it myself. it was a flying saucer looking thing. I'm not a mechanic but maybe the intake manifold can use a cleaning? for my Son's '94 Camry, it was as simple as removing the airflow tube from the throttle & spraying some carb cleaner in there & wiping it with a cloth. that unit has 1 or 2 small holes, in the walls of the throttle body so I was sure to spray those. that car idled better afterwards. careful w/ that stuff, it's flammable! don't use a lot! good uck!
I'm watching a video on it now, thank you! I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but it's such a clean vehicle - I don't want to neglect anything :).

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,108 Posts
Make sure the battery is good and the terminal connections are tight. Is the battery recently purchased?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure the battery is good and the terminal connections are tight. Is the battery recently purchased?
Everything appears to be snug and I haven't seen any power drops. I was reading that the XT doesn't have an EGR but rather it might be the IACV??

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,534 Posts
@Dolfowolfo if you haven't done so already, give this a try. It will only cost a bit of your time & if it doesn't help, you can continue with the troubleshooting.
My '07 FSXT, a retirement gift to myself, bought it in 2009 & has just a touch over 28K miles. Zero issues, other than the poor Subaru paint... failing clear coat that will require a respray.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Dolfowolfo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts