Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trans went out in my 2010 XT and wanting to know what years/models I can use as replacement. I will change rear also if needed, don't care if gearing changes or not. Can't find any real info of whats the same or different in the 4eats that would or would not alllow them to interchange.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
141 Posts
Looks like for an exact match your options are stuck with another SHXT unit. The Turbo 4EAT's have a couple extra clutches to hold the torque and you will kill an NA unit in short order. Cars101 shows all WRX's as manuals but the FSM lists a turbo option for the trans for the 08-14? variety. The FSM does show the turbo 4EAT with a 3.9 final drive vs the SHXT 4.11 though so you'd have to get it's matching rear diff.

The 02-07 WRX's come with a 4.11 4EAT (I have one in my EZ 03) but I'm not sure how compatible they are with the SHXT TCU and VDC. Gotta watch out for the MPT vs VTD center diffs too. The TCU's also don't match.

FWIW my 04 WRX auto trans says it's supposed to be a VTD everywhere online but dropping the pan shows its an MPT. 🤷‍♂️

SG XT will have a 4.44 final drive but you could grab either an open or viscous 4.44 rear diff and not sure how they will will react with the Sport shift TCU.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts