Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, about a week after I first got my forester, I was driving down the highway at about 65 mph, out in the desert on my way home from work. There was a strong sideways wind, almost perpindicular to the highway, and I rolled down my window part way to get a little fresh air inside. When I rolled it back up, the last .5cm, perhaps, remained open, and no matter how many times I tried to go down then back up, that gap remained (complete with wind noise) until I passed the windy stretch, and then it would roll up 100%. Wind was hitting the passenger side, the drivers side window wouldn't go up.

Same thing happened yesterday, on the freeway going 75pmh, but this time it was the passenger window that wouldn't go up. Wind was hitting the driver side, the passenger side wouldn't go up.

I'm guessing it has something to do with air rolling over the roof, and down into the window channel, preventing the window motor from doing its thing. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, but either way I plan on telling the guys down at the dealer next time I'm in there. Any guesses?

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
next time it happens, try opening the back windows just a crack, close the fronts all the way and then close the rears.... thats what I have to do when it happens to me.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
2010 XP. Windows won't rise fully up during strong lateral wind loading.

Maybe you should try "Windows 7"...They might work then....LOL

Sorry, didn't have anything beneficial to add.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LMFAO, that was hilarious I gotta admit.

So I take it this isn't a problem unique to mine, that's good to hear. I'll give that a shot, bettsyboy, next time it happens. Muchos gracias!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
As I've gotten older..:confused: ...I find that I never roll the windows down on the freeway....just extra protection from stuff flying off the roadway and trucks/cars.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Manual
117 Posts
I think this was also a problem (result of new aerodynamic body design) on the GMC trucks back in the early 90's... the windows would 'straighten' up a bit when they were opened at highway speeds. Caused by a cabin pressure differences from the outside.

One would have to slow down in order for the air pressure <insert more scientific reasoning here> to equalize and the window would relax back into the curved track.

I suspect a few other makes/model have problem with wind/noise buffeting at faster speeds beyond just the Forester.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
This used to happen (actually, it still does happen) with my old '92 Pathfinder; I haven't experienced it yet with my Forester. It's something to do with the way the air moves around the body at 65+ mph; the only way to get the windows back up seemed to be to slow down to about 50 and try again. Strong side winds definitely made it much worse.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
My old Jeep Liberty made a noise like a helicopter hovering overhead if the back windows were down and the front windows up. Everybody knew about it, and complained about it. It was just explained away as a phenomenon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts