Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2010 X vs 09 XT: My opinions

6K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  Trainman 
#1 ·
Well as many of you know I have a loaner Foz because they broke a part connected to the turbo. The part is now enroute from Japan.

My dealership has loaned me a 2010 Forester X with auto.

I thought I would track my opinions of this model comparing it to my 2009 Forester XT (turbo) with auto.

MSPR for X is 26k and XT Limited is 35k CDN
http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...rester&ModelYear=2010&WebSiteID=282&carID=410

This is important when determining if the short comings (if any) of the X are worth it for YOU.

I hope you find this useful if you are considering a Forester.

#5 ·
The dash on any new Forester is hardly a plus. However, this one seems even more plain than the one on my 09. There seems to minimal use of even blue. Especially around the speedo.

Also, no HID. What a difference makes with the HID lights. With a think coating of dirt on the lamp the HIDs are still very bright.

The engine is very good for city driving. I went to pick up chinese food tonight and didn;t notice the lack of a turbo.

#11 ·
Do you like driving in 3rd gear??

The power seems to be an issue for me. I was driving home on a long gradual up hill and found that I had to keep it in 3rd gear to keep my speed at 100 km/hr. I also find that I HAVE to use the sport shift to get into traffic.

With my XT I could either put my foot down and take the spot in front of a car or coast and slide in behind a car when entering traffic. With the X I find it is coast and slide in behind. The power just isnt there to take a spot on the road.

Oh and the stereo is actually worse than the stock stereo in my 09. How could they do that????

#12 ·
One comment I might have is to ask why people, even some who would call themselves driving enthusiasts, now feel so offended when they actually have to *drive* a car and plan ahead in traffic situations. If it needs to be shifted, just shift it. I have a stick and have to shift out of 5th up some hills, just like in my '91 BMW 318is and many, many fun cars before that.

I come from the days when people drove 36 and 40 hp VW Beetles, and VW buses which topped out at 65 mph on a downhill. In Europe, the name of the game is small displacement cars, and they have hills, even mountains, there. Put the car in the right gear, run the motor at 6 grand, and pretend you're having fun.

No offense intended, but if we are ever forced to go really green (or when gas is $8 per gallon), we will probably be driving slower, smaller cars. And I continue to find truth in the statement "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow".

I have owned Corvettes and 12-second musclecars, and also slow English sports cars. It was great fun to drive my MGB around at 9/10 all day without anyone really noticing. It was frustrating to hold back the Corvettes when the speed limit was 35 mph.

George

#19 · (Edited)
No offense taken here bro, you seem to merely be stating the obvious.. A 4 cylinder turbo has more power then a non turbo, The N/A gets better mileage then the turbo, A leather seat with 8 way power adjustment is more cushy then a manually operated cloth one.. HID lights are brighter then halogen.. Tell me something I don't know like does it handle any different, turn any quicker or is the suspension any stiffer thats what i want to know. Is it really worth 9K more for XT?

#23 ·
Handling:

The steering seems very "light" to me on the "X". For me light steering is when the slightest of movement (using my little finger) to the steering wheel makes the car move left or right. IOW, super sensitive steering. I found myself on the highway having to adjust my line with my hand fixed to the top of the wheel.

I hope this accurately describes the feel for the steering. I am not up on teh driving language

Yes Dad I am not driving with my hands at 10 and 2. :)

#24 ·
I would love to do Rogers Pass but not without my studded Hankook tires. I am riding on stock a/s duelers. :p

The door on the X seems to shut with a more "manly" sound. The complaint I have with my FXT is the incredibly light doors. I think I could fart on the door and get it to close. While the door on the X shuts with a pleasant thud.

#27 ·
Bare pavement!:

I'll give you an idea from my experience on the Rogers pass/ Coq with the N/A4eat instead;
vrrr down to 80k/m; -shiftto2nd-rOOOOOM! back up to 120km/h;
vrrr down to 80k/m; -shiftto2nd-rOOOOOM! back up to 120km/h; repeat...

the best part is that you get to pass all those cars that just went by, and then see then do it all over again when they catch up..

and please no more fart testing in loaner cars :biggrin:

#44 ·
TC2000, I couldn't agree with you more. The dash is almost insulting to Forester owners. A blue light for a cold engine....come on Japan we are not idiots over here.
I did some checking on this earlier (meaning someone here, about 11 month ago, posed the question about changing the cluster). My reasearch has come up with.........the gauge cluster from a Imprezza 2.5GT will most likely work. The reason on the 2.5GT is that it is an auto like the MY09FXT, US, and the shifter position will show correctly. Here is a pic below. This is something I would certainly do but my XT is leased and I am not sure if I will keep it yet, several reasons but I do still love it. Heres the guage....you gotta like the color too.

#31 · (Edited)
09 FXT has adjustable rear seat backs. Not of 2010 X
09 has rear middle seat cup holder snack tray. 2010 X has fold down arm rest.
Your Canadian spec 2010 N/A loaner sounds like either a "base" 2.5X model w/ optional AT, or a PZEV model w/ opt AT. The adjustable rear seat back and rear seat cushion table (retractable) with integrated illuminated cup holders are not included with those two trim levels, but are with the other trim levels.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

#36 ·
09 FXT has adjustable rear seat backs. Not of 2010 X
09 has rear middle seat cup holder snack tray. 2010 X has fold down arm rest.
The point of the thread is to document the difference between the 2 and my opinion of the difference.

Sorry but I do not get what you are trying to say.
I’m trying to point out (primarily) that the differences are due to trim levels between trim levels and not model years, and (secondarily) that these differences are already established in Subaru documents.

What tires and rims are on the loaner? How about driver seat pack pockets? Door handle color? Moon roof? AWP? :biggrin:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

#37 ·
I am aware that I am comparing different trim levels. The key for me was to share my impressions of 2 completely different trim levels.
this would hopefully help those considering a Forester if it is worth the extra 9k CDN to get an XT or not. Unfortunately, not everyone take a nice long test drive to fully appreciate the car and whether the engine is good enough for THEIR needs.
If someone took an "X" for a drive in the city and figured it was good enough I would hate for them to feel like crap when they are in 3rd gear trying to get up a mountain.

For specific differences in the 2 trim levels I am comparing...I did put a link to the Subie Canada website.

#38 ·
How come so many people have gripes about the dash meters being uninteresting?? It's doesn't have to be an Iron Maiden concert to serve its purpose well....seems like a silly complaint to me. Sure it could have a few more doodads, but "it's lacking enough blue to be exciting" (paraphrase)...really??

#45 ·
Hi
Lacking enough blue to be exciting. Who said this? If you or anyone else thinks I am simply bashing the X then please start a thread outlining YOUR opinions.

If you like the dash then great but you in the minority. I do not think it it asking too much for a dash to have the proper gauges nor do I think it is asking too much for an attractive dash. I do not like the dash in my FXT. I want a boost and temp gauge.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.