Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as many of you know I have a loaner Foz because they broke a part connected to the turbo. The part is now enroute from Japan.

My dealership has loaned me a 2010 Forester X with auto.

I thought I would track my opinions of this model comparing it to my 2009 Forester XT (turbo) with auto.

MSPR for X is 26k and XT Limited is 35k CDN
http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...rester&ModelYear=2010&WebSiteID=282&carID=410

This is important when determining if the short comings (if any) of the X are worth it for YOU.

I hope you find this useful if you are considering a Forester.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I look forward to your thoughts on the 2010 Forester X.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I cant imagine it'd be much different except for the lack of the turbo. Looking forward to your impressions .. :cool:

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 20 minute drive home did make me miss the 8 way power seats. I am not a fan of the lever unit for the seat height/angle. Also, no air lumbar support. I do put on the kilometers and need some comfort when driving for 15 hours.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dash on any new Forester is hardly a plus. However, this one seems even more plain than the one on my 09. There seems to minimal use of even blue. Especially around the speedo.

Also, no HID. What a difference makes with the HID lights. With a think coating of dirt on the lamp the HIDs are still very bright.

The engine is very good for city driving. I went to pick up chinese food tonight and didn;t notice the lack of a turbo.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
^^^^
Wow.......7'2". Does he get a lot of nose bleeds at that elevation? :biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you like driving in 3rd gear??

The power seems to be an issue for me. I was driving home on a long gradual up hill and found that I had to keep it in 3rd gear to keep my speed at 100 km/hr. I also find that I HAVE to use the sport shift to get into traffic.

With my XT I could either put my foot down and take the spot in front of a car or coast and slide in behind a car when entering traffic. With the X I find it is coast and slide in behind. The power just isnt there to take a spot on the road.

Oh and the stereo is actually worse than the stock stereo in my 09. How could they do that????

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,124 Posts
Do you like driving in 3rd gear??

The power seems to be an issue for me. I was driving home on a long gradual up hill and found that I had to keep it in 3rd gear to keep my speed at 100 km/hr. I also find that I HAVE to use the sport shift to get into traffic.

With my XT I could either put my foot down and take the spot in front of a car or coast and slide in behind a car when entering traffic. With the X I find it is coast and slide in behind. The power just isnt there to take a spot on the road.

Oh and the stereo is actually worse than the stock stereo in my 09. How could they do that????
One comment I might have is to ask why people, even some who would call themselves driving enthusiasts, now feel so offended when they actually have to *drive* a car and plan ahead in traffic situations. If it needs to be shifted, just shift it. I have a stick and have to shift out of 5th up some hills, just like in my '91 BMW 318is and many, many fun cars before that.

I come from the days when people drove 36 and 40 hp VW Beetles, and VW buses which topped out at 65 mph on a downhill. In Europe, the name of the game is small displacement cars, and they have hills, even mountains, there. Put the car in the right gear, run the motor at 6 grand, and pretend you're having fun.

No offense intended, but if we are ever forced to go really green (or when gas is $8 per gallon), we will probably be driving slower, smaller cars. And I continue to find truth in the statement "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow".

I have owned Corvettes and 12-second musclecars, and also slow English sports cars. It was great fun to drive my MGB around at 9/10 all day without anyone really noticing. It was frustrating to hold back the Corvettes when the speed limit was 35 mph.

George

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,124 Posts
That's interesting. According to this guy there wasn't enough room. >.>

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/more-legroom-added-my09-10-a-64692/

And he's 6'3".
I'm 6'2", a bit long in the legs, and my '09 X has *just enough* but I'd like another inch or so of legroom. (I take off my shoes on long trips and then it's really good.)

Someone who is 7'2" has probably made many concessions in terms of comfort over the years, and being a young guy, he can probably tolerate it better. (I used to drive all sorts of ergonomic nightmare cars when I was in my late teens and in my 20's).

Headroom without the sunroof is spectacular and I think someone 7'2" would be fine in terms of headroom so long as he/she didn't have a big afro or want to wear a tall hat :)

George

George

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm 6'2", a bit long in the legs, and my '09 X has *just enough* but I'd like another inch or so of legroom. (I take off my shoes on long trips and then it's really good.)

Someone who is 7'2" has probably made many concessions in terms of comfort over the years, and being a young guy, he can probably tolerate it better. (I used to drive all sorts of ergonomic nightmare cars when I was in my late teens and in my 20's).

Headroom without the sunroof is spectacular and I think someone 7'2" would be fine in terms of headroom so long as he/she didn't have a big afro or want to wear a tall hat :)

George

George
Lol, this makes me think about what cars professional basketball players drive.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Gas Mileage:

First 1/4 tank: 12.4L/100 km

My FXT was sitting at about 13.2L/100km when it was delivered to teh dealership for them to break apart.

EDIT

To be fair I just found out that the car only has 700 km. Still not broken in.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
For those who do not drive a turbo Forester.....

I am not posting to this thread to offend you or your choice of car. I am simply offering my opinion on the differences.

Please accept my apology if I have offended anyone.
This is great info, SO. I've wondered about the differences.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
No offense taken here bro, you seem to merely be stating the obvious.. A 4 cylinder turbo has more power then a non turbo, The N/A gets better mileage then the turbo, A leather seat with 8 way power adjustment is more cushy then a manually operated cloth one.. HID lights are brighter then halogen.. Tell me something I don't know like does it handle any different, turn any quicker or is the suspension any stiffer thats what i want to know. Is it really worth 9K more for XT?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
Seeing how they have the same suspension, it won't. That seems pretty obvious to me.

Keep the comparo coming, good info for perspective buyers.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts