Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if someone has posted something similar elsewhere, but I work 12 hours a day and don't get a chance to dig through pages and pages of forums trying to find a previous question and answer. So, please don't bite my head off if this has been asked before.

I have a 2010 Forester 2.5x Premium (I think that's the correct trim) with the large moonroof. A few weeks ago, I noticed when I closed it, the driver's side would make noise. This morning on my way to work at 5 am (it's now 7:30 pm and I just got in), I heard the wind whistling around the moonroof. I got out and looked and noticed the left rear corner is dropped down. The other three corners appear to be sealed. I can push up on that low corner and it will raise up, but when I let go, it immediately drops back down like maybe something is bound up.

I've done a couple quick YouTube searches and Google searches, but haven't seen this problem. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I'll have a day off in a couple of days and can tear into it then. I did pull the back of the headliner down and looked in there, but I don't really know how a sunroof mechanism works, so I don't know what I'm looking at. I see the motor and gearbox, but not sure how the linkage works.

Can someone link some videos, pictures, schematics, instructions or whatever you can find on this? I'm an industrial mechanic (I fix CNC lathes, mills, etc), so I think I might be able to fix it once I understand how it works and can see some good pictures or diagrams. I'm calling it a night so I can rest up for the next 12-hour shift tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for helping a guy out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what were your findings if I may ask? I have the same issue and preemptively bought shims as well as the spacer before diving into it.

Geoff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts