Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the 2010 wrx and xt? I would really like to know how to squeeze that extra 40 hp out of my xt. (if possible) Does the WRX have a different turbo?
I've tried to search around on the internet for this info but didn’t have any luck.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 09-10 WRX comes with the larger VF52 turbo, whereas the FXT still comes with the same old TD04.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i assume I’ll void my warranty if i strap a vf52 on it..right?. what could i do to see the best hp gain w/o messing up my warranty?

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
so i assume I’ll void my warranty if i strap a vf52 on it..right?. what could i do to see the best hp gain w/o messing up my warranty?
Nothing. Modding your car voids it.

Some dealers are mod friendly. Some people have had major work done with upgraded turbos and such and not had a problem. You have to pay to play/:biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
26 Posts
Could the XT (automatic) take the extra power that would come from the bigger turbo? Engine no doubt but transmission?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
There's some Fozzies on here running big HP numbers with the 4EAT, and they are running just fine. Running an extra 40-60hp with the stock 4EAT shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
so i assume I’ll void my warranty if i strap a vf52 on it..right?.
It'll void the warranty on the turbo and any related items that SOA feels are affected but not the entire warranty. Even then they need to prove that it indeed caused a related failure.

It also depends heavily on the dealer and your relationship with them. A few oil changes go a long way towards creating good will...

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good to know..if i go stage 2 and something goes wrong couldnt i just remove the downpipe and return the ecu to factory setting before i bring it in for service? or will the dealer be able to tell?

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
If you stick with Subaru OEM turbos and do the proper supporting mods, the chances are very good that you will be just fine. A good protune is also a must.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
chip

I am new as I just got a '09 F XT... I came from the Audi/VW world where chipping your car was a must. Is this the same with Subaru's?

thanks!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
good to know..if i go stage 2 and something goes wrong couldnt i just remove the downpipe and return the ecu to factory setting before i bring it in for service? or will the dealer be able to tell?
Warranty fraud ftl... You gotta be willing to pay to play, or don't mod if you value your factory warranty. BTW, do you really think the techs were born yesterday and that they can't tell if the exhaust has been tampered with by looking at bolts and such? I'm not saying that they would be as likely to look for evidence of modifications as they would with a WRX or STi, for instance, but if they wanted to build a case against a warranty claim, they could...

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I agree P7. I think honestly is the best approach. I didnt hide that I was stage 2+, and since I always have my service performed at the dealer, have bought 2 new subarus from them, and have bought 2000+ dollars in parts, they were willing to help me out.

Hell, my lgt is out of btb warranty, but they are covering the leaking valve cover gasket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts