Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 2010 Forester, i'm on my third Forester...I love them.

So I did a timing belt job the other day, as I have done before. And this time I'm having problems...OK so I get the kit make sure everything is lined up, oh I had to put helicoils on idler pulley and belt tensioner. No big deal. So after pulling the pin and putting it all back together, It won't Start!!! No compression what so ever.

Took her back down again, and it seemed to have jumped a tooth on the belt...so I repeat the process. Everything all lined up again, Pull the pin again...
And still nothing, No compression. I'm at a loss...I have done this before on my 00' and 05' Forester. In the past they have been a great cost cutting project.
Oh I should mention I did replace plugs and wires, coil pak was OK and i chose not to replace it.

I have no idea how to get it all back in sync...If you turn the "cams" it shouldn't be out of time if you line up the marks on the pulley..

I need help!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
An engine needs spark, fuel and compression to fire, and it sounds like you found out the latter was missing.
No compression means the valves are open on the compression cycle, so nothing else matters. The cams are no longer lined up in their correct position.
Hopefully a valve didn't hit a piston yet.
Don't try to start it before you get the cams correctly aligned.
Remember that the engine is a 4 stroke and the pully will line up on a single rotation.
It sounds like one or both cams are 180 degrees off.
There are lots of how to videos if you search.
Good luck.

·
Registered
911 Posts
How do you know that it's not getting compression? Did you actually put a compression meter in one of the spark plug tubes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts