Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine turns over but won’t start. The battery seems to have plenty of power. I’m leaning towards a fuel problem. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
516 Posts
Yes. I'm sure someone has had that problem.

To "run", an engine needs the right combination of air. fuel and spark. And all at the correct time.

Did it die while you were driving or did you park it and it simply won't start the next time you try?

Do you smell fuel from the tail-pipe after having tried to start it? (whether it is running or not, air will get pumped through engine. If the air contains fuel, you can usually smell it.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car died a couple times but started up again and I drove it home. After that I tried to start it in the driveway and it will turn over but not fire.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
998 Posts
If your coil is original and/or you've been lax about spark plug intervals, i'd start with troubleshooting the coil.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
998 Posts
30,000 mi per the book if you use the OEM style NGK's. You can probably push them safely to about 40,000 mi, but any more than that they'll be so worn that it messes with the coil. It is a wasted spark system so it does make them wear a little faster.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
51 Posts
Well I feel better about mine fozy now. I had my Sparks wires and coil changed just last months.
Not bad for almost 10 years and 150k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But would this cause the engine to die as I’m driving? And it will start back up and run for another 10 minutes before dying again.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
51 Posts
Not sure. I am not DIY.
May know how to but have no time or tools.
My best bet most of the time is my dealer. Small jobs may go to local shop, but cost wise it close to dealer price if I stick to what I want to be done, not what dealer says need to be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts