Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the stickied topics and I am not sure how to earch through archived threads but I am in the process of getting snow wheels to mount snow tires onto so that I can change them out.

So far I have found a seller in my area that is selling 17x7 5x100 wheels but I dont know the offset yet.

I know the Factory tires are +48 but does anyone know what would be safe to use on the 2010 Forester?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seller just told me he sold the rims to someone else.

I found another seller who has 16x6.5 42 offset

Would I be safe in using these on my Forester?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
+42 is more a VW/Honda offset, but it will work. You should find out the hub size too to make sure it fits.

If your looking for cheap winter wheels the local NASIOC classifieds usually has Subaru OEM wheels for cheap, and as long as they are not off an 05+ STi they wil fit your car perfectly.

I usually look here:
classifieds - craigslist

and here:

NWIC Private Classifieds - NASIOC

I found 03 WRX wheels for $100 a while back, and some 06 Impreza 16" for $150 last fall. Both are now used with snowtires on Foresters.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
To the OP: What do plan on doing about the tire pressure monitoring system?

If you have it in your car, which I assume you do as it is a 2010 by your sig.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to ignore the TPMS. I will keep the stock wheels and tires in storage until the snow season and is over and mount them back on.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
I plan to ignore the TPMS. I will keep the stock wheels and tires in storage until the snow season and is over and mount them back on.
Good idea. Where I live, if the vehicle needed a state inspection during the time the tpms light was activated, it would not pass, (they also check for any codes stored) so remounting the stockers with the senders in them would have to be done, until after the inspection.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Sounds like you've changed your opinion on snow tires, compared to your comments in a previous thread.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Good idea. Where I live, if the vehicle needed a state inspection during the time the tpms light was activated, it would not pass, (they also check for any codes stored) so remounting the stockers with the senders in them would have to be done, until after the inspection.
Same here. What a rip-off this whole TPMS scheme is. Instead of being a helpful but unobtrusive tool, it's a very expensive mandatory add-on which, as you point out, needs to be working for the vehicle to pass inspection. Which really bites if the OP needed to have his car inspected in, say , January. I looked into buying a set of wheels and snows for my Foz from one of the big online discounters, and they won't even balance the tires if you don't buy the tpms sensors ....which cost, if I remember correctly, $124. for the set of 4 tires. Sheesh....we are truly living and driving in a nanny state...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you've changed your opinion on snow tires, compared to your comments in a previous thread.
Not really, I still stand by my opinion that tires wont make a car better because of the driver, an inexpierenced driver is still an inexpierenced driver with or without snow tires. I know enough about this forester and the yokohama geolanders to know that the car needs better winter tires to keep up with my driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts