Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Forester has all of a sudden started to whistle like a tea kettle (same kind of sound). It only does it at speeds over 40mph. I've had it since last July and it just started a few days ago. It was driving me crazy so I launched an all out effort to find the reason.

I removed the chief suspect, the roof racks, but no difference. The noise sounded like it was coming from the drivers side front door area so I put a strip of duct tape along the top of the driver's side door where it meets the windshield frame.

Bingo, the whistling stopped. But now to find the reason. I've made no modifications to this area of any kind, pure stock. The frame and door look perfect, are well aligned, and the rubber weather stripping on the door looks new with no signs of wear or debris. The car never did this before so something had to change.

Can anyone help solve this mystery?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
The next thing I would check is to make sure the weather strip isn't malformed or different from the passenger door in some way and if that looks good, you may want to consider a DIY fix to the weather strip like they do to the older Fozzies and although this would suck considering it's a new car, it beats putting up with it if the dealer can't or won't fix it.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could always try to tighten up the door by adjusting the latch mechanism but since the body panels already align, that's probably a bad idea.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

Here's a suggestion off the Web although I can't say I'm a fan of bending body parts unless she's a gymnast, lol.

Check your window frames.They can get bent out of shape from slamming doors,accidents,attempted break ins,etc.With the window down open the door and put a dollar bill between the window frame and the roof line and close the door on it,if it slides back and forth you have an air leak.Open the door and hold it stationary while you bend the window frame in.Close the door and recheck it

And another for bending the door after a locksmith used an air bladder to get inside.

See if your top portion of the door isn,t bent out, and not pushing against the body seal, if it is bent, open the door, put you knee against the door panel (top part) and pull the frame of the door, i,ve fixed quite a few cars like that, it usually happens when locksmith prys top of the door to open it.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I would suggest a trip to the dealer for a warranty evaluation. Of course it won't do it while there.

If you start adjusting the door you could run into warranty issue if the dealer detects this.

New car please use the warranty. My .02

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
18 Posts
Don't know if this is even related but I used to own an Impreza and the mirrors would do the same thing it had to do with how the bolt holes were put a piece of tape over the bolt holes and it went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts