Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning lights with no issues....

I have a 2010 Forester pzev with 152,000 and I keep getting the check engine light along with the blinking cruise, anti skid and the ABS light. If I let it sit for a couple days they go out for maybe 150 miles or so then pop back on. I’ve replaced the gas cap and that didn’t solve it. Took it to some parts stores and one said it was vapor lock from the gas cap and another said it was the cat converter. Usually if it’s a cat you lose performance and it gets red hot if it’s plugged.....it has an older battery but fires up relatively easily...could that be an issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. I dump a boat load of $$ into the forester for a new cat converter, A arms and other stuff to get it running well for my wife and now the transmission oil temperature light is on.

So done with this.

·
Administrator
15,398 Posts
@Caffinated1 Frustrating I know but I do notice that you did not respond to offers of assistance in a past thread? So I think it's best to merge so that there is a bit of history.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
195 Posts
Warning lights with no issues....

I have a 2010 Forester pzev with 152,000 and I keep getting the check engine light along with the blinking cruise, anti skid and the ABS light. If I let it sit for a couple days they go out for maybe 150 miles or so then pop back on. I’ve replaced the gas cap and that didn’t solve it. Took it to some parts stores and one said it was vapor lock from the gas cap and another said it was the cat converter. Usually if it’s a cat you lose performance and it gets red hot if it’s plugged.....it has an older battery but fires up relatively easily...could that be an issue?
Ok,take a deep breath and relax.
If you already spend money on CAT. Nothing can be done.
But for the future, before throwing your money away, do some research first.

I own, seamingly , the same model.
2010 Forester premium 2.5. Non turbo pzev. I am at 160k now.
I have been getting same light show for years. You need cheap code scanner to do some triubleshooting.
I got mine in harboretrade on sale. 25$. Worth every penny , after spending hours at dealer and independent shop and getting no results.

Here is the rub, no dealer or my mechanic could clearly identify the issue, ever. The reset the code,which was something like P2006 or P2026, and I was good for 4 or 6 month. My cheap scanner allowed me to do it myself , fast and cheap. And I did finally identifed the issue as user error.
Apperently this model has a finicky vapor recovery sensor in your fuel tube. If gas station attendant or you don't put the gas cap property and tight, it triggers the code.
I am in NJ, so we can not fill-up by ourself. I noticed that a get the code more often when I fill up at one specific station. I have 3 to choose close by. When I got into hubit of resetting gas cap after every fill-up I stop getting the codes. Haven't got an issue in the last year or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,take a deep breath and relax.
If you already spend money on CAT. Nothing can be done.
But for the future, before throwing your money away, do some research first.

I own, seamingly , the same model.
2010 Forester premium 2.5. Non turbo pzev. I am at 160k now.
I have been getting same light show for years. You need cheap code scanner to do some triubleshooting.
I got mine in harboretrade on sale. 25$. Worth every penny , after spending hours at dealer and independent shop and getting no results.

Here is the rub, no dealer or my mechanic could clearly identify the issue, ever. The reset the code,which was something like P2006 or P2026, and I was good for 4 or 6 month. My cheap scanner allowed me to do it myself , fast and cheap. And I did finally identifed the issue as user error.
Apperently this model has a finicky vapor recovery sensor in your fuel tube. If gas station attendant or you don't put the gas cap property and tight, it triggers the code.
I am in NJ, so we can not fill-up by ourself. I noticed that a get the code more often when I fill up at one specific station. I have 3 to choose close by. When I got into hubit of resetting gas cap after every fill-up I stop getting the codes. Haven't got an issue in the last year or two.
I had all of the warning/service lights out for a long time after having the work done. It still drives great, even better with the new A arms, it’s just driving me nuts having more popping up.
jersey gas stations...lol, yeah. I worked outside of jersey city for a couple months earlier this year. I’d get out of my truck and tell them I’d do it. They didn’t mind, I had a 100 gallon diesel tank in the bed.
Still, just frustrated with the lights. Any idea of the automatic transmission oil temp?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Caffinated1 Frustrating I know but I do notice that you did not respond to offers of assistance in a past thread? So I think it's best to merge so that there is a bit of history.
I read them, and did a few fixes that worked only to have the issues arise again. They’re fixed, but now I’m back to solving more issues.
So....here I am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts