Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newer Outback and... a 2010 Forester. My daughter wants to drive the Outback and have me... drive the Forester. My thoughts are to sell the 2010 Forester and buy a 2019 Forester. There real question is: is it worth it? What are the substantive changes that have occurred over the past 9 years with the Forester? The good news is that the trade in value would probably be adequate at a Subaru dealer. I just don't know if, other than "newness", there is that much of a difference. Your commentary and perspectives are appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
276 Posts
The difference between my 2015 Touring and my 2019 Touring are massive.
Ride, transmission, infotainment system, power, handling.
Test drive a 2019, you can then decide.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Global chassis based Forest to me was a night and day difference from even a 2014 Forester.

Didn't buy a 2014- didn't care for it at all. Will be buying a 2019.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,715 Posts
As a 2010 owner I agree with the other posters here. For my opinion the best upgrade is the Eye-sight package. After driving my sister's 2017 limited, that's the largest improvement over my 2010.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
I think what's even bigger than ES is the new GLOBAL PLATFORM. Rides much quieter, stiffer and handles far better along with enhanced safety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had to chuckle at the original post, what happened to kids getting to drive what parents tell them to drive? My cousin was offered her first car option and said, "No, I don't want to drive around in that." I was just happy to have my first car! A massive '82 Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme :) OP, not suggesting at all anything negative towards you or your daughter, I just think teenagers say the darndest things sometimes.

And we just bought a 2019 Forester Limited for our daughter...who is 7 months old. We get to enjoy it for the next 16 years and then it will be her first car. I say go for the new Forester, we love it!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
68 Posts
Oh my what a change.... I’m going from a 2006 Mazda Tribute to a 2019 Forester.... I AM NOT READY!!! LMAOOOOO

2019 Subaru Forester Sport / Harmon Kardo
2006 Mazda Tribute s 4dr 4x4
1993 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr
1997 Chrysler Sebring JXi
1989 Cadillac Deville
1987 Dodge Ram

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure whether anyone reads a 10 month old thread, but here goes ...
I searched this thread because I have a 2010 (and a 2009) Forester and am thinking ahead to updating. My concern is not with what's improved but with what issues have emerged as problematic. My Foresters are both 5-speed manual. Manual is no longer available for reasons that I understand, but I have seen on this forum reference to dissatisfaction with CVT transmissions. I can't get a sense of how prevalent the issues are because obviously people don't post "There's nothing wrong with my CVT transmission". Is there any actual data?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,940 Posts
Is there any actual data?
Yes, Consumer Reports has data from actual Forester owners. According to CR's reliability data the 2015-2019 Forester's transmission is "much better than average" which is CR's highest score.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
537 Posts
I upgraded from 09 to 19. Love it. The transmission is awesome. I have not had any problems at 25k miles now. I own the Sport model and really love the dual x-mode option. I have tried three times in deep sand to get this vehicle stuck and it wont stop plowing through. In x-mode 1 I get more slippage and struggle to pull through deep sand. x-mode two all wheels engage and it just moves slow and easy through the deep sand. Also handles ice and snow with a breeze. I also added a 1" spring lift kit and did not notice any adverse events with the CVT.

The eyesight and adaptive cruise control is another feature upgrade I really like. Much faster and much much quieter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts