Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just changed the oil in my 2010 Forester non-turbo that I recently purchased second hand. It has 75,500 miles on it. Seems I accidentally bought 5W30 SL grade 100 percent synthetic oil, whereas the owner's manual calls for 5W30 SM grade. The average temperature where I live is around 32 degrees F in the winter, and around 90 degrees F in the summer.

I searched online but I couldn't find a straight answer.

Should I change the oil immediately or can I drive the car for a few hundred or more miles?

Thanks very much,
Chris

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
380 Posts
I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever. I would use it until the next oil change was due. The engine in yours was developed in 1988. The SM spec sometime around 2005. Over here the owner's manual calls for 0w20, but I am going to change to 5w30 next change to lessen oil consumption

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,802 Posts
You will be fine with the SL oil for a change cycle. You are using the correct weight and the oil is full synthetic after all. I am wondering what company still makes a full synthetic oil that does not meet the SM standard, however, unless you got some really old oil.

The '10 non-turbo engine is easy on oil and I chose not to bother with full synthetic for my '09 Foz, which my son now has with 160k miles on it. Just keep an eye on the oil level and get to understand the quirkiness involved with checking the oil level in a Subaru engine in a consistent way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts