Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this site.
I bought a used forester for my son who is in college.

So today i found a used trailer hitch out of LKQ wrecking yard.

Was there a factory hitch from Subaru?

Looking to mount it so my son can put a bike rack on the back of the car.

And then does anyone have a schematic of how it mounts.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,868 Posts
Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
319 Posts
@Just Tool'n there is/was a OEM hitch but it was only 1.25" - the normal standard is 2"..

installing a trailer hitch is pretty easy - BUT you would want now bolts/nuts and they can be purchased online for about $50 (last time i saw them)

You will also find lots of videos online about installation..

brian

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
545 Posts
Subaru does make a factory hitch...and it is an option.

I assume the hitch you got is off a Forester, if not I would not waste my time on it.

Here is a link to eTrailer.com: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Subaru_Forester.htm
The link is to the page of available hitches they have that will fit your Forester. They also have videos showing how to install the hitches. Their are also innumerable videos on YouTube explaining the DIY install process.

The Subaru factory hitch size is 1.25”, which is fine for the car considering the low allowable tow weight. You are free to install a 2”, but it is overkill IMO.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
568 Posts
You are free to install a 2”, but it is overkill IMO.
I respectfully disagree. The 2" allows greater flexibility (you aren't stuck with just bike racks) and in my experience handles the load of multiple bikes much better than the 1.5" did. I started with a Class II 1.5" hitch and switched to a Class III 2" after unsatisfactory performance of the former. Same brand, same installer-major difference in performance. YMMV

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Also be aware that the factory hitch retains the rear crash rating. It bolts on completely differently than aftermarket hitches. The install of an aftermarket hitch reduces the rear crash rating.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
79 Posts
You can also easily use a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter though. Using the factory hitch is nice since it keeps the crash rating and once installed is quite discrete. Plus it installs at factory mount points with quite a few bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
568 Posts
You can also easily use a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter though. Using the factory hitch is nice since it keeps the crash rating and once installed is quite discrete. Plus it installs at factory mount points with quite a few bolts.

Keep in mind that use of an adapter reduces the tongue weight allowance by 50%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts