Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5L XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Finally got our 2010 2.5XT registered and drove it home :)

So far so good but noticed a brief squeak/chirp when the turbo engaged a few times on the highway. Just 1 second then gone. Lots of power.

This is my 1st turbo engine so I've no idea if it's something simple, lubricant? Or a belt? Or something else.

Apologies if this has been discussed already a search turned up unrelated results.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
277 Posts
any chance you can capture the noise on a video? I think being able to hear it and when its making the sound exactly would be helpful to let you know if it should be of concern or not. I don't personally have any noises like that from my car, but it could be something like engine/transmission mounts or something suspension related when the torque comes on from the turbo. Just don't want to cause you any concern since the car sounds to be running fine otherwise.

·
Registered
2010 2.5L XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any chance you can capture the noise on a video? I think being able to hear it and when its making the sound exactly would be helpful to let you know if it should be of concern or not. I don't personally have any noises like that from my car, but it could be something like engine/transmission mounts or something suspension related when the torque comes on from the turbo. Just don't want to cause you any concern since the car sounds to be running fine otherwise.
Thanks, good idea, I was thinking that on my way home just now, but the battery died on my phone (I've been using it as a dash cam). It seems to kick in more loudly at first then after a few times of being engaged seems to become quiet and goes away. It's fairly high pitched not unlike a rubber squeak/squeal. I'll get a recording and post it later!

·
Registered
2010 2.5L XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK. Here is the whirring? Squeak? Chirp?

Thanks again for any info. Have an appointment tomorrow for the power steering leak ;), hope this noise isn't anything major!

EDIT: After reading through some 'recommended' posts could it be related to the power steering issue? AC compressor? Or the dreaded 'banjo bolt' filters I've been hearing about?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
277 Posts
almost sounds like a goose honk :).

it only takes a few minutes to check the Bajo bolts, so have them take a look when you are in the shop. Could be a belt or a small boost leak. doesn't sound like metal on metal so thats at least a little bit reassuring. Not sure on your car since its not from overseas, but we have a few emissions related items that if they fail or are install wrong can honk like that. If they can't find the issue at the shop, can you post a quick picture of your engine bay?

·
Registered
2010 2.5L XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is like a goose honk :LOL: best check under the cover for critters.

I've got the diagram for the banjo bolts locations to show the guy in case they're called something else here.

UPDATE:

Mechanic seems decent, he'll replace the PS pump first as it's got fluid all over. While he's doing that I've asked him to remove the the 3 banjo bolts, check them and remove the filters.

From the threads on here folks have said there's no filter on the turbo head but just the 2 others. We located the head bolt and the one on the left but where is the 3rd on the right? Seems it's buried deep under other components.

I gave him the banjo
bolt diagram found on here but anyone that has a better "map" to this part location please share! :)

Hoping it may solve the turbo "honk" noise.

·
Registered
2010 2.5L XT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the mechanic checked.on the left bolt and the turbo head bolt. No filters. 3rd bolt will require more work and may pursue it another time.

Bolts don't match the ones discussed here so seems a previous owner swapped them out.

After oil and fluid changes the "honk" is now a subtler "squawk", hopefully as it works through it'll dissipate ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts