Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the 2010 2.5 X Premium in early September and 2 months later totaled. So bummed, I loved the car. I had just finished upgrading the sound system as well...

We got a very good settlement from insurance so we were able to pay off car and still have some extra. We are now looking at our options. I very much want to get another Forester but not having a car to trade in has kind of put a new one out of the question. My wife wants to keep in under 20k. There are some used 2009 non premiums out there near me at that price but not premiums. I was really hoping I could stick with a 2009 because of the extra room in back seat...

I'm considering going with a used SG (probably 2004 - 2007) to keep price down. Are there any differences in these cars that I should consider when I'm trying to sort this out? Wiki says "For 2006, the Forester exterior received a styling update." What styling is this? Are there any mechanical or interior differences (not including different models) with the SG Foresters? There is a 2004 XT with 65k miles near me for $14k :)

While I know there are obviously some SG fans here is there any reason I should reconsider not getting a SH? Any other input?

Thanks for any help!

Here are pics of my baby :(

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Those are sad pix... :icon_cry:

Best of luck,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
poor poor forester :icon_frown::icon_frown: Good luck with your search

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
There are differences between an 04-05 and an 06-08 models. I don't think there is anything major, styling changes and such things like that. I don't have all the details on the top of my head righ now, but you could check out cars101.com for some help.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Coming from an 2010, you're not going to like the lack of space in the back seat area. Its tight. My mother-in-law has a 2010 and its so much more spacious than my 2007. Then again, my 2007 looks sexy and sporty and fast and her's isn't. Trade off, I guess. :biggrin:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are differences between an 04-05 and an 06-08 models. I don't think there is anything major, styling changes and such things like that. I don't have all the details on the top of my head righ now, but you could check out cars101.com for some help.
Thanks for the cars101 tip. Great site. I found an article there which previewed the 2006:
2006 Subaru Forester Preview
It looks like there are quite a few improvements, other than styling, the 2006 has over the earlier models.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Don't know if you're interested in a modded forester, but I couldn't help but notice you are from WI. I contacted a member of this site about his 2007 that is currently for sale. It is also listed on Eau Claire Craigslist. Pretty modified Forester, but might be worth your looking. If I remember correctly it's listed on here and his username is Hobbsdt (I think!) Check it out and see if it's your style.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know if you're interested in a modded forester, but I couldn't help but notice you are from WI. I contacted a member of this site about his 2007 that is currently for sale. It is also listed on Eau Claire Craigslist. Pretty modified Forester, but might be worth your looking. If I remember correctly it's listed on here and his username is Hobbsdt (I think!) Check it out and see if it's your style.
Thanks. I found his post. It looks like a great car for that price. I think it would be a hard sell with the wife though. She does not want me in a fast car :)

·
Registered
2018 XT & 2010 X
2,165 Posts
I concur you will be disappointed in the rear seat room of the pre 09 models after having one, if that kind of matters to you. The 09+ are more SUV like, roomier....the previous models were a little more car-like, nimble. And an pre 09 XT? Ooooh, that would be a FAST car. Think fast, fun vehicle that can carry 8ft lumber.

Look how many people on here autocross their XTs (see avatar) :lildevil:

·
Registered
176 Posts
"The Sports XT is the only 2007 Forester with VDC."

For 2008 the "XT Sport and XT Limited w/ automatic transmission are the only Forester with VDC. "

=\ That's something I was very disappointed to see as I started to look for used Subaru Foresters. Then again, if you never cared for the whole "one wheel tire traction", this would be a moot point to you. However, I'd still buy a second generation Subaru Forester (one without VDC) at this point if the price was right. :eek: Beats driving a FWD in the winter.

But it's nice to know that "VDC, stability control is standard on all [2009 Subaru Forester] models" as well as TCS.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
776 Posts
I would check your local dealers for "demo" cars. Some cars will be borrowed by dealership employees to drive and then sold as a "demo". They will only have a few thousand miles on them and are well kept. They are still considered new but are sold at a nice discount. That way you could still get another new Forester but for a cheaper price!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We ended up going to dealership that had a used 2006 and we immediately knew that we wanted to stay with a 2009 or 2010. While I liked the way the 2006 drove we did not like how much less room there is.

I ended up getting a new 2010 X Premium with MT (no winter package)...same as one I totaled. It made no sense going with a 2009 with 12k - 18k miles or a 2010 base AT with the price and financing I got on the 2010 Premium MT. We got the 2010 Premium MT for $22,500 ($300 over dealer invoice).

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
Good Deal ! That was definitely the way to go,what color you get this time ?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
Now that you have a replacement, I guess its ok to ask how did the accident happen with the original one if you dont mind sharing that info. It makes me cringe when I look at the pics cause it looks just like mine. It'd also be nice it you could grab a rim off the wrecked one to have a nice full size spare tire.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Now that you have a replacement, I guess its ok to ask how did the accident happen with the original one if you dont mind sharing that info. It makes me cringe when I look at the pics cause it looks just like mine. It'd also be nice it you could grab a rim off the wrecked one to have a nice full size spare tire.
I been in a situation a few times where a car has been wrecked (both times my girl, she loves to wreck cars) and I try to be quick to locate in the tow lot and with my handy dandy 211pc mechanic's tool. Usally its the aftermarket sterio equiptment I'm trying to slavage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts