Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I guess Subaru considers the EJ25 small enough to get by with a belt. The H6 engines in the Legacy, Outback and Tribeca have timing chains.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
Timing belts have been used for quite a while because they are effective, for both cost and reliability. Timing chains aren't exactly state of the art...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
wow... that is pretty old tech... why not timing chain?
Timing chains have been used since the early 1900's while the "Gates" Toothed belt system didn't show up until the 1960's. So which is the old tech? That said, the Subaru H6 and new H4 diesel engines use chain drive for their cams. I think this was done as much for space saving as anything else but I might be wrong. Expect to see chain driven cams on the new DI H4 engines that should be making their debut for the 2011 or 2012 MY.

Guy

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
but when will those engines come to the states?
Well, the very first one may be the DI 2.0L in the Toyobaru Coupe sometime in 2010-2011 but we might also see it as a new engine in the Impreza/Forester/Legacy lines in a 2.3-2.4L version.

I'm just guessing but I think they will use the 2.0L Diesel as a pattern for the new DI gas engine layout. So, along with the chain drive camshafts that will also mean tighter bore spacing and longer strokes using same style rods as the diesel and H6 engines. The smaller bore and bore pitch is done to reduce the front to back length of the block assembly and makes tuning for reduced emissions easier in the tighter combustion chambers. Increased efficiency may allow them to reduce the displacement from the current EJ25 (2457cc) down to 2300-2400cc and still have a more powerful engine that returns better fuel economy. So look for 180-185hp or so in the base NA engines and up to 330hp or so in a full out STI version.

Guy

·
Registered
2013 X premium auto
74 Posts
Very old thread I know but I have a question about chain vs belt. Is the belt reliable and just cost a lot to replace, or is the chain better all around?

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
225 Posts
I would prefer a chain. don't have to wonder if it is going to break or not, as long as your aren't beating on it. some timing belts aren't bad to change, some are ridgoddangdiculous to change. Subaru is about the eaiest one I have had to change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts