Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
135 Posts
Resurrecting this thread from the dead but thought it better than starting a new one.

For you folks with the db651 speakers installed - what did you do about the gap between the adapter ring and the door frame? I've only replaced the rears (dynamatted the doors while I was at it), and as I'm sure you've noticed the spacer/adapter ring doesn't mount flush.

I find that I have hardly any bass coming from the rear speakers, definitely lacking compared to the factory speakers I still have up front. Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed (the mids and highs are nice and clear though!) and just trying to sort out whether that gap is the problem, or whether something else is going on?

Oh, this is in a 2011 Foz and with the factory HU.
The adapter that comes with the speakers places the speaker close enough to the grill that it's not an issue IMO.

If you only replaced the rears, the power requirements between the stockers and the Polks is significant. The stockers will have more output at all frequencies, not just the bass. When you replace all 4, you won't have a bass loss...

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
114 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. I got to the two fronts this weekend and things do sound a bit better ( at least in front - I'll try sitting in the back seat this evening ). I'm going to go back and put some weatherstripping on the back side of the mounting ring/bracket to at least stop any reflections off the dynamat.

I ordered a new HU anyway - it was inevitable - so hopefully that will make a considerable difference over the stock HU. Honestly things sound so much better with the Polks over the stockers, but it does still feel like they don't hit as low...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did this speaker install and it was very easy.

However I did have some Sail Panel issues - does anyone know where I can order the replacement sail panels from?

·
Registered
2012 forester premium automatic
5 Posts
tweeter housing

Well, it turned out to be a broken "post" on the driver's side tweeter housing, not a "stretched post" as I originally thought. Strange thing is, I was pretty careful, and never heard a "snap". Also, the passenger side housing came off without issue.

No biggie, I'll just buy a new one for ~ $12 or so. If anyone else does this install though, be careful removing the already installed tweeter housings!
where did you find the tweeter housing for $12 , could you please let me know

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Auto
3 Posts
Well, it turned out to be a broken "post" on the driver's side tweeter housing, not a "stretched post" as I originally thought. Strange thing is, I was pretty careful, and never heard a "snap". Also, the passenger side housing came off without issue.

No biggie, I'll just buy a new one for ~ $12 or so. If anyone else does this install though, be careful removing the already installed tweeter housings!
Anyone found a place to buy these where shipping isn't more than the cost of the part? I actually just need the clip, but I'm seeing $15 shipping for a $.70 part.

You guys are more better at this stuff than me. I have about 5 hours in ONE door - soundproofing with RAAMat and Ensolite, swapping stock speaker for Polk db651s. Broke one of the supports that holds the mounting post on the door card. And I messed up the sail panel clip beyond repair. Hopefully the other door will go faster, but I'm not so sure about this projaect at this point.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts