Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First time poster, long time lurker.

I've been driving a 2010 XT for a year or two and wanted to spice the car up a bit. I bought a GFB T9001 (I know its just a sound toy). After I installed it, I was looking at the stock bpv and noticed a fine dusting of metal chips. Enough to feel with your finger. I removed the T9001 and noticed some metal dust inside the intercooler. It isn't alot but enough to make me question where its coming from. I have not noticed any noise/performance issues at all.

If it wasn't for me changing out the stock bpv, I would have never even known about the metal chips. But now that I know, I'm worried i have a ticking time bomb. Should I replace the turbo?? Since I don't notice anything else wrong, should I just run with it?

I'm not looking to make massive gains (bigger turbo / tune) but If i'm already replacing it I would want something more reliable then stock. There is a used VF52 for sale on marketplace for 300$ with 56K miles on it. I just don't want to fall down the black hole of mods.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing to add, since it's an auto (rpms never get that high) upgrading to a bigger turbo seems like it wouldn't matter? Some dyno pulls posted only showed benefits at higher rpms when comparing the td04 and the vf52. Is that a correct statement?

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Touring Auto
757 Posts
Not sure about the bits, however upgrading to a VF52 is a huge difference. Just remember to upgrade all the support parts too. (turbo inlet, 3 port BCS, intake inlet) The stock hoses end up flapping out on the insides and causing airflow problems.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
102 Posts
OP, if there are bits of metal in the intercooler and on the BPV, just about the only place they can come from is the compressor wheel. I'd guess your turbo has enough shaft play for the wheel to contact the side of the housing, and you're seeing the results.

Transmission type doesn't have anything to do with how much benefit you'll get from a larger turbo, and if the RPMs never get "that high" then you aren't using enough throttle to notice a difference either way. Also you mention that you've seen no performance issues, but I bet if you go WOT from 1st through 3rd gear you'll notice something.

Not sure about the bits, however upgrading to a VF52 is a huge difference. Just remember to upgrade all the support parts too. (turbo inlet, 3 port BCS, intake inlet) The stock hoses end up flapping out on the insides and causing airflow problems.
A VF52 upgrade definitely does not need an intake upgrade, in fact they almost always cause far more problems than they're worth, especially with Cobb's wonderful OTS tunes. Subaru intakes flow extremely well and will support over 400hp with no changes.

An inlet is nice if the stock one has problems, but is by no means needed and will not give any performance boost that I'm aware of. A 3 port EBCS is, again, not needed if the correct (for the VF52) restrictor pill is installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems like a lot. I'd rather stay with the stock TD04 in that case.

OP, if there are bits of metal in the intercooler and on the BPV, just about the only place they can come from is the compressor wheel. I'd guess your turbo has enough shaft play for the wheel to contact the side of the housing, and you're seeing the results.

Transmission type doesn't have anything to do with how much benefit you'll get from a larger turbo, and if the RPMs never get "that high" then you aren't using enough throttle to notice a difference either way. Also you mention that you've seen no performance issues, but I bet if you go WOT from 1st through 3rd gear you'll notice something.

A VF52 upgrade definitely does not need an intake upgrade, in fact they almost always cause far more problems than they're worth, especially with Cobb's wonderful OTS tunes. Subaru intakes flow extremely well and will support over 400hp with no changes.

An inlet is nice if the stock one has problems, but is by no means needed and will not give any performance boost that I'm aware of. A 3 port EBCS is, again, not needed if the correct (for the VF52) restrictor pill is installed.
I do tend to not go WOT a lot. Feels like im beating it when I put the petal to the floor. From what you said it sounds like staying with the stock TD04 makes the most sense. I'm assuming if I keep running with the current turbo its only a matter of time before metal gets in the intake and bricks the whole engine??

·
Registered
757 Posts

I'm not suggesting he replaces the whole intake, just the hoses, turbo/throttle. Both hoses are support modds for added boost pressure even when running S1 or S2 Cobb OTS maps. Cobb does not have any maps for a VF52, you'd need to get to a tune. Also, upgrading to a 3 port EBCS is one of the first things a tuner will tell you to do. Will your car run without it, yes, but it's a top support mod as it helps maintain proper boost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it sounds like the general census is to replace the turbo proactively versus waiting for the inevitable failure? I got a quote from a local shop for around 2000, depending on what else is needed. That includes a new turbo (stock OEM turbo).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I have a appointment for them to check out the turbo and see if a new one is necessary. We'll see how that goes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I have a appointment for them to check out the turbo and see if a new one is necessary. We'll see how that goes
Sitting at the dealership now. They found a small nut in the pipe between the filter and turbo. They dont know how it got there or what's it from. Could this be from the cold side turbo compressor wheel? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sitting at the dealership now. They found a small nut in the pipe between the filter and turbo. They dont know how it got there or what's it from. Could this be from the cold side turbo compressor wheel? Any ideas?
Update: I bought one of those milwaukee video scopes and went in through the intake to find out of the nut fell off the compressor wheel. Attached is the picture. Does the blades look torn up? I dont have alot of turbo experience but they seem a little ravaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ouch, poor impeller! Yeah that thing is chunked.
What's the worst that can happen if I keep running it like that? I dont have the funds available to buy a brand new one at the moment but dont want to hurt the engine by keep running it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well, you removed that tiny nut so thats a start. I can only imagine that your turbo is on borrowed time, its going to be unbalanced and will spin itself into oblivion and send goodies further into your system. Look for a used low milage or refurbished turbo on eBay. #14411AA7109L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts