1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2010 NA Forester

I've been noticing my coolant dropping ever so slightly the last 6 months or so. I think I have found the culprit.

There is a small but obvious escape of coolant from where the hose to the expansion / overflow tank meets the radiator neck. See photo.

It's only started doing this maybe the last year or so, so I'm thinking either the hose has degraded or, please no, a crack in the radiator neck. I'm thinking it's more likely to be the hose otherwise I would expect to see a bigger leak from a cracked radiator neck.

So I'm ordering a new hose and once that is installed I will be using a clamp over the hose / radiator outlet union.

Anyone else had this issue? I don't think the hoses were clamped from the original factory install either??

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,615 Posts
@ForesterCub I have a 2001 and never had that issue. Radiator has been replaced once on my 2001, but still the original factory hose. If anything, I would check to see if the seal around the radiator cap is leaking slightly or not.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@bman400

Cheers, yeah I did that, in fact I replaced the radiator cap 18 months ago because that was defs leaking. I''m thinking is from the hose because there is a perfect ring of dried coolant around the union after each journey but no sign of coolant from the cap.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,994 Posts
@ForesterCub if that's the hose to the overflow... expansion tank, there really no pressure to speak of, as the coolant just flows in & out of an unsealed jug. If the hose feels loose, the fix could be as easy as replacing it.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2.5x_sleeper Hi Bobby

Yeah cheers I am going to replace the hose anyway. I'm thinking it's most likely to be leaking when the radiator is cooling / depressurising and the coolant is being sucked back into the radiator from the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts