Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked all three skid plate makers for my 2010 SH man 5sp N/A and no one seems to make a skid plate for it. They all seem to be for automatics with turbos. If anyone knows whether these might fit mine or not would be helpful. Even if I have to modify one to fit would be acceptable if I don't have to bend or weld to make one fit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,626 Posts
You looking for engine or transmission skid plate? AT's have a Oil pan to protect, but is there even a oil pan for MT to protect? Also not many MT were purchased or even used for off-roading.

·
Administrator
15,400 Posts

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, When I searched primitive site they would only display the one for an XT. This is exactly what I was looking for. The trans has nothing to protect, therefore I have no need for a trans plate. The diff is really not in harms way either for the kind of overlanding I do. I quess I didn't explain what I was looking for well enough. Maybe the Primitive racing people need to take another look at their website. I searched around four times for the skid plate and only found 2.5 XT models.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You looking for engine or transmission skid plate? AT's have a Oil pan to protect, but is there even a oil pan for MT to protect? Also not many MT were purchased or even used for off-roading.
Well, as I said, I was looking for a skidplate not a transmission protector. I am aware of how many people use automatic transmissions for their off road projects but that fact does not mean that i should not use mine for that purpose. I have been offroading since the late sixties including running the Parker 400 and the Baja 1000, all using stick shift VWs in baja bug class. I like stick transmissions. I don't have an automatic forester to look at to see if the skid plate bolts at the rear differently than my 5speed does. That is why I was looking for a skid plate specifically noting mt or 2.5X rather than XT which I was under the impression only came with the 4eat trans. Every skid plate I saw on all three makers websites specifically said only the 2.5XT version. As it turns out, there is the Primitive racing website that I looked at and another one I didn't know about called Get primitive. that's the one that does show the one I believe I can use. Thanks for your interest

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,626 Posts
I was not trying to discourage you from using your MT for off-roading, I just installed the Primitive engine skid-plate for my 2001 Forester. The back end of the skid plate bolts to the jacking plate attached to the main cross-member.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the skidplate for your 01 is a little different than the one for mine. I was looking at the plate for mine and it only shows a single bolt at the rear. I will get my car jacked up to see where that single bolt goes into. Does. Your 01 have a Mt or an automatic?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,626 Posts
@Oleman I have a AT, but as @Kevin stated, there is no difference between the MT or AT with respect to skid plates on the 2001. They both attach to the same bolt holes.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
759 Posts
I wouldn't worry about AT or rear diff plates; just protect the engine.
I hit my rear diff cover hard enough to dent and scrape it decently. I would say the trans cover isn't necessary due to it being so recessed but I vote rear diff for sure
Al just depends how hard you go and where. I was fully loaded with camp gear, paddle boards 3 people and a full size dog... had to go around a washed out bridge, down the Gulley and up the other side, going up required some right boot to make it, there was no turning around the trail we had come down. Glad I had the diff plate on for the hit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,400 Posts
Maybe the rear diff SH+ is more prone to being hit?
The rear diff is without doubt the strongest part of the vehicle; you can jack the car up under the rear diff. I go very hard and never had a problem with the rear diff. I wouldn't mind a fuel tank guard though as one side holds a bit less fuel now;-)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
759 Posts
Its stronger than say the oil pan, but you could still come down on the drain plug if you hit just right which could make it a whole project to remove.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if you are still looking for a skid plate.
Check out RA Motorsports.
They have a skid plate for this year, n/a model specific.
I am currently measuring out if it will fit my 2010 turbo, with Perrin equal length headers.
Made here in Canada.
Great pricing too, $300 Canadian.
Nice guys, check them out.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited by Moderator)
@Fishguy,
Thanks, let me know if that works for you, ok? In not sure if shipping from Canada would be cost effective. I am open to all ideas including used pro plates or even old road signs. My money is very tight so something in the low budget category would be welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will keep you posted.
And remember, this is Canadian dollars.
So, currently $300 Canadian is $228 US.
Shipping usually isn't bad between Canada and the US.

As cool as an old stop sign (do not enter would have a good place there too) might look as a skid plate, it probably isn't heavy duty enough to be of much use. It really depends on what you are expecting of it.
Used, good luck.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
I only do soft roading without taking big chances because i am retired and live on a megur pitance so could not afford to do a lot of repairs besides, when I was young I had all the rad stuff I could get running the Parker 400, the Mexican 500 and the baja 1000. That was the early 70s plus did a lot of dirt bike riding back then too so I'm not missing out by soft roading. I love the outdoors and animals. The skid plate will just be a token bit of insurance. The chap on youtube ignition offroading does all the rad stuff and gets along pretty well with just an old sign. I will check out that skid plate. Thanks Mate

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hear you.
I have been fortunate to have
My current Forester is being built mostly for my 18 year old son.
My toy, but mostly his use.
We got started when stuck at home with this Covid thing, it's just gotten a bit carried away from there.

Don't get me wrong though, a 'Do Not Enter' sign would make an awesome skid plate. Poetic too.

Enjoy retirement, probably well deserved.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited by Moderator)
So, I now have a skid plate and didn't pay a penny. I remembered I had the stainless steel cover from an old Sub-zero fridge up in my rafters. I checked and found it was a little on the thin side (maybe 16 ga) but I figured if I fold it over so its two layers thick it just might work. I did that, cut it to size and mounted it. I believe it will be just as tough as the 5mm aluminum used in pro models. I'm very happy with it. I then decided to put a hitch on my forester so I could make a rear recovery point. I did that and it turned out so well I then decided I would also fabricate recovery points in the front. after carefull exam of the frame (unibody) I found I had a couple old trailer hitch irons in my scrap pile that would be just right to weld on the two built in tie-downs on the front. I cut the parts off the hitch irons that a small ball would mount to and welded them to the car on to the tie-down points. This was almost perfect size holes for the pins on 3/4 bow shackles. These points are now very strong and will for sure not break when using to recover. I have carried a very strong tow strap with me for years only using it once. It is still in really good shape so now lives in the spare tire well with my other recovery and tire change stuff. I will take some photos and add them to my account later. All this only cost me the price of a hitch for the forester.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts