Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my CBE comes tomorrow and i have 2 questions.

is it worth it to paint it VHT flat black? i am not a huge fan of chrome.

also how difficult of an install would this be solo? im thinking of just doing it tomorrow myself

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
I have a feeling it can't be too difficult....come over on thur...and we will get er done..maybe I can test fit on mine first?:Banane29:

BTW, I has vee-h-tee paints.

I'm sure your gaskets are like new, but do you need longer hangers? Send Tom @ kartboy a msg asap as he has mucho experience....he can overnight too jic.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
i painted mine flat black, its starting to flake off.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Is this a wrx piece? do you need longer hangers?

btw, i have vht header (black) paint....along with a vht clear

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bad news Jon Eric, i cant do thursday now :( and im gone this weekend which means it looks like im doing it solo today! wish me luck!

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ended up doing VHT flat black on the mufflers but left the mid pipe plain.

i taped off the chrome tips and went with plasti-dip on those(in case i decide i would rather have them back to chrome)

installation was pretty easy. i didn't even lift the car, just slip under and did the install.
the only issue i have had is a burning smell and the first time i drove it i had some white smoke which was scary.

but i read from some wrx owners that it is from the oils inside the piping and the gaskets burning off their coatings.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
NICE !!! Looks good all black. Stealthy...

·
Registered
2001 sf6 now w/choo choo 4EAT
511 Posts
you plasti-dipped your exhaust tip?? wont that melt off when it gets hot?
I thought plasti-dip was a low-temp deal.

Looks great by the way, I dont know why EVERYBODY doesnt black out the muffler, it looks so much better black. And if it flakes just give it a quick sand job and touch it up with more paint....only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

The chrome tips get hot on the inside but the outside doesn't get too bad. I had plasti dip on the stock tips and they held up wrll

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
eff powdercoat...black header paint (2000 degrees) will do you fine and available via interwebs. B...hope this holds up///how is them sound?

keep in mind that once you go a tad lower..all this is irrelavant besides the canister end cap...which is all that needs to be painted imo.

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
eff powdercoat...black header paint (2000 degrees) will do you fine and available via interwebs. B...hope this holds up///how is them sound?

keep in mind that once you go a tad lower..all this is irrelavant besides the canister end cap...which is all that needs to be painted imo.
the sound is amazing! doesnt drone on the highway but you know for damn sure when it down shifts. and of course sounds great when you start it up.

the white smoke and burning smell scared the hell out of me though, but i guess thats part of the break in period

i used VHT flat black and did the entire bottom and side of each can and then did then entire tubing back to the mid=pipe. i think it will hold up well, i did the same with the stock pipes and they look the same as the day i painted them

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have had a couple people ask about the spt exhaust so i took a few iphone videos. the sound quality is actually surprisingly similar to in person. just click on each photo to see the video and enjoy

outside of car just after start up, it sounds louder when the engine is cold

in the car at idle

normal driving in neighborhood

highway speed

from a stop in sport mode

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It kind of pulses in your head when you start it for the first time each day once it warms up or you drive a few yards it settles down

1 - 20 of 27 Posts