Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may just be bad at searching things out, but I did scour several forums for info on this before asking. With that out of the way, I picked up a mint 2010 Forester XT Limited with a blown engine and I'm having a hell of a time finding a complete EJ255 to purchase. Ebay is flooded with EJ20X claiming to be a direct replacement but from what I've read, swapping that into a DBW Subaru is difficult to get everything working properly. Are there any engines that aren't EJ255 V. 2 that will direct swap into it or any guides about what needs to be swapped over from the 255 to get another engine to work?

· Registered
2011 Forester XT Slush box
136 Posts
Just an idea, but would an EJ257 be a better match? You might need to get an AccessPort or some other remapping for the ECU, but new part availability might be better than an EJ20X.

Or alternately, do you know the level of damage to the current motor? 'Blown' could mean a lot: head gaskets, spun bearings, timing belt failure, broken ring land.

· Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited
5 Posts
I'm gonna be pulling the engine as soon as I get the chance to actually pull it apart, but as of now I just know the crank doesn't turn in either direction with a breaker bar and the engine was overheated. The EJ257 would be a nice swap but all the ones on eBay that have everything with them are like 6k+ :eek:

· Registered
136 Posts
You might not need a full engine. If you just need the short block, I think your EJ255 heads and intake might swap over (assuming the valves are okay).

Granted, the last time I bought an EJ257 short block, it only cost $1600 new from Subaru. That was in 2007.

· Registered
136 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I think all the sensors (air fuel, MAF, etc) are the same, and since displacement is the same, I would think that the stock XT tune could re-learn to deal with it. Especially with the XT intake and exhaust installed.

Not sure what the major differences are between EJ255 and EJ257 short blocks. Pistons, rods, improved oiling and maybe tighter tolerances.

· Registered
136 Posts
If you've got a reliable independent Subaru shop in your area, I'd recommend confirming the interchangeability with them before buying anything. I'm not a professional mechanic, and EJ255 to EJ257 isn't a swap I've personally done.

Or sooner or later, somebody else might chime in with more experience here.

· Registered
2009 Forester XT
667 Posts
I've swapped to an iag block 257, actually twice now. Everything fits and works just fine. The real question is if you are willing to purchase an Accessport and pro tune. If these are reasonable investments to you, go with either short block (255/257) and have your stock heads gone over at a machine shop.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2009 Forester XT
667 Posts
Also, if you replace with anything but a stock 255 short block, tuning would be required, due to cc differences in heads. This includes ej20 builds.

· Registered
2009 Forester XT
667 Posts
I'd strongly advise to have professionally cleaned and inspected, or better yet replace anything the oil touched. This includes oil feed lines to head/turbo, oil control valves, Avcs sprockets(intake cams), oil pan, oil pump, and most importantly, the turbo.

A seized motor likely has grenade bombed the whole system with debris and future problems. Read up on p0011 and p0021 if you haven't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts