Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install a new Pioneer Stereo that has a USB-C port in the back. I was thinking of the best option for using this port. Ideally I would run a USB-C cable from the port to the center console. My car doesn't currently have a USB port in there (only AUX) so I would probably have to install something like this (only USB-C):

My question is how difficult is it to run a wire from the back of my stereo to the center console. I do not have much experience with this type of thing and trying to figure out if it makes sense to try. Or would it be better to just drop a USB cable down into the small compartment under the stereo/climate control and plug in my phone there?

Additional details: Car is a 2010 Forester with heated seats, automatic.

I'm open to suggestions!

Sorry if this is already in a thread somewhere, I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
2009 SH Forester Premium
56 Posts
If you're just trying to run a cable from the back of your headunit to the same spot as the factory aux spot. You will have no problems at all.

·
Registered
2009 SH Forester Premium
56 Posts
I'd imagen when you take off the trim to plug in the back of your headunit you can thread a cord down the side of the trim. It will be pretty self explanatory when you're poking around in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Purchased this outlet/cord and a 3/4" spade bit.

Next step is to remove the center console to drill a hole and install the port. I would like to place the hole near the current aux port; most likely below it but will have to figure out how to get the drill in there.

If it seems to tricky; I'll just put it in place of the 12v outlet.

Open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
One possible note of caution, IF you are expecting to use this USB port with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay on your new head unit: These technologies are extremely sensitive to signal loss over long cables. Many issues people have with AA/AC are cured by using shorter/higher quality cables. I would urge you to set things up temporarily and make sure it works reliably before making permanent changes.

In my 2015, installing a Sony head unit with the USB ports on the back, we brought the USB dongle out into the cubby below the center stack, and I use an 18-inch cable for the phone.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
It's hard to say, but long cabels have been found to be a problem with some combinations of head units and phones. I'm only suggesting an over-the-top test period before doing anything permanent.

What head unit is this? I didn't know USB-C connectors were coming standard on any car stereos now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I ended up ordering the Pioneer DMH-2660NEX -- it has standard USB. I was looking at the DMH-W4660NEX but the release is delayed. It had the USB C port. I'll try the cords out before I do anything permanent. Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,104 Posts
You'll probably find you can slip the cable up the side of the trim around the shift stick w/o having to remove it

BTW guys Rules:
5. Similarly, do not use "Reply" or "Quote" when responding to an immediately preceding post as we do not want to read stuff twice and it just clogs up the thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts