Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a 2010 forester x recently. Just two days ago I started to get a weird noise. My friend quickly said it sounds like the manifold. I did some searching and someone said it is a heat shield. I got under the car and I do not seem to have heat shields. It is a Canadian car so I am not sure I have heat shields. I did file the car please help any way possible.
Here is a video of the noise while I drive. Car noise

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Patrick

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
609 Posts
Sounds like a hole/leak in the exhaust somewhere. Could be manifold, like your friend suggested.

However, it does sound a bit tinny, so it could be the exhaust gas hitting a heat-shield around the header/cross pipe etc, or its somewhere along the exhaust system. Possibly the cat converter.

Get a rag (to protect your hand), then place your palm over the tail pipe, to block it off (assuming you have a single tailpipe, if not, get a friend).

See if the pressure builds right up; or if you can hear a leak, with only a weak pressure build up.

If there ends up being a leak, but its hard to find, you could use something like a smoke machine to help isolate the leak.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,045 Posts
I have no idea where you are in Canada, but typically most exhaust places like Speedy Muffler will put your vehicle on a hoist and inspect it for free. You can decide from there as to who when and where the repair gets done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts