Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to apply Lamin-X yellow film to my fog lights. While it is not necessary to remove the bezels for this operation, I thought it would be easier if I did. There's probably a couple of ways to do this. I never did it so this is how I muddled through.

I'll show you the pictures first so we can share the same terms.

This first one is the bezel removed. Note there are four tabs on the back of the bezel. Two are alignment or index tabs, one is a hinge, and one is the latch. The bezel is made out of hard plastic and is a little brittle. I actually broke off one of the index tabs but glued it back on (not on this picture).

Tool Gas Electric blue Font Circle

The next picture is the fog light pocket in the bumper skirt. You can see where the latch and hinge go. I've backlit the hinge pocket so you can see it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

I should probably leave it here for you to find your own way through. You can do it with just these pictures. What I did was pull the plastic underbody panel loose up by the fog light. One plastic fastener and one bolt. That gave me access to view from behind and ultimately to reach in and release the bezel.

The hinge tab simple sits loosely in the hinge pocket. Nothing holding it. Don't break it

The latch pocket sits 180° across from the hinge pocket. Looking from the front of vehicle, the driver side (as above) latch pocket sits at about the 4-5 o'clock position. The passenger side latch pocket sit at about the 7-8 o'clock position. So what I found to do was to put the plastic tool between the fog light lens and the backside of the bezel. This just holds light tension on the bezel. Don't force it. Then I reach up into behind the fog light with a little flat screwdriver in my hand and feel around for the plastic latch. Insert the screwdriver and gently pry the black plastic away from the chrome plastic bezel latch. The skirt is a more bendable plastic but you only have to lift it like 1/8". It pops right out then.

If you knew exactly where to lever, you could probably do it without pulling down the underbody cover. Take something about the size of a hacksaw blade and jam it into the latch to release it. I found a way to do it without scratching or breaking anything.

Put the hinge in the pocket and swing the bezel into place. Push in to latch.

· Registered
2006 Impreza
7 Posts
I was actually just thinking about popping these out and chrome deleting them. Does anyone know if they are functional to the fogs? If I paint them black will it reduce light performance at all?

· Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Ratstrats, it appears to me the bezels have very little impact on fog light output. The bezels are only slightly smaller in diameter than the lens. They may provide an edge cutoff of the light. You might see a difference if you were to delete them completely. Changing the color of the bezel is only going to change appearance of the car and won't do anything to light output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts