Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. The remote entry fob for my 2010 Forester has died. It's not a battery issue has I tried two brand new batteries to no avail. The dealer is charging $160 for a new one and $65 to program it. However, I've found some online for approximately $40. Any idea if these are legit or do I really need to purchase this from the dealer. My bank account is grateful for any suggestions!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,750 Posts
@meschuster welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Have you looked inside the fob to see if the switches have detached from the circuit board? Also verify the battery contacts are tight & clean.

You can self program a new fob... transmitter to the vehicle. The programming instructions are in the Owner's Manual, section 2, "Keys and doors".

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,750 Posts
@meschuster I forgot to ask early on, assumed you only have one remote key fob. If both key fobs don't work, then the troubleshooting may need to go in a different direction...

If your remote fob looks like the ones below, note that those laser cut keys will require a high end lock shop to cut them. The workaround, if you decide to buy a new key fob, would be to transfer the transmitter module to your existing key fob. That way you won't have to have the key cut or need to transfer over the immobilizer security chip.

Bobby...

This pictures the traditional cut keys, which Subaru went back to on the later models.

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,085 Posts
My fob died about a year and half ago. Replaced battery and cleaned contacts, no dice. I picked up a replacement from ebay for $18.69 shipped, and after programming it on receipt, it has been just fine. Seller was "extra-partss". Looks like their price has gone up to $22.75 now, but that is still cheaper than the $40 you mentioned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Newbie here. The remote entry fob for my 2010 Forester has died. It's not a battery issue has I tried two brand new batteries to no avail. The dealer is charging $160 for a new one and $65 to program it. However, I've found some online for approximately $40. Any idea if these are legit or do I really need to purchase this from the dealer. My bank account is grateful for any suggestions!
My remote on my previous 2010 died more than once.
There is a small contact that has a habit of breaking free.
A known issue.
On both fobs the repair was a simple solder job. The Dealer didn't charge me each time. A first!
This may not relate to you, but it is worth looking at to $$$$ave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts