Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 NA AT. So I'm thinking I'd like to clean up the steering fluid a little on this car purchased a year ago. I did try to exchange some fluid from the top of the reservoir but only a couple of ounces is accessible at any given time. I'm thinking about pulling a hose. What do you think about that? I don't want flush the system, just change some out a couple of times a year.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
siphon out what's in the reservoir. Fill it back up, start the engine. Turn it lock to lock several times or drive it around to get it circulated. Repeat as many times as you feel like or at least until the fluid is a nice cherry red colour.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a battery water bulb device just for this purpose. Old fashioned thing that puts water/acid in and out of batteries. It won't go into the reservoir. Maybe I am overlooking an inlet screen or something.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,305 Posts
Put some small diameter tubing on the tip or get a large syringe with tubing. The inlet hole for pwr steering fluid is very small. 1/2” maybe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'll check it out. It will certainly simplify things if I can get access to the fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'll be chastised and plagiarized, that worked like a charm. I got out the "Mighty Vac" testing/bleeding tool, threaded the correct size tubing through the hole into the reservoir, and removed a full vial of fluid. Thanks for the tip. One thing, though, didn't I read someplace not to go block to block on the steering? GM used to recommend going lock to lock to vent air from the fluid. I might crawl under there and see what's going on when you go 'all the way'.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
@donkpow bleeding Subaru Power Steering:
  1. Feed the specified fluid with its level being about 4 cm (1.6 inch) lower than the mouth of tank.
  2. Continue to turn steering wheel slowly from lock to lock until bubbles stop appearing in the tank while keeping the fluid at that level.
  3. In case air is absorbed to deliver bubbles into piping because the fluid level is lower, leave it about half an hour and then do the previous step all over again.
  4. Start, and idle the engine.
  5. Continue to turn steering wheel slowly from lock to lock again until bubbles stop appearing in the tank while keeping the fluid at that level. It is normal that bubbles stop appearing after three times turning of steering wheel.
  6. In case bubbles do not stop appearing in the tank, leave it about half an hour and then do the step 5 all over again.
  7. Stop the engine, and take out safety stands after jacking up vehicle again. Then lower the vehicle, and idle the engine.
  8. Continue to turn steering wheel from lock to lock until bubbles stop appearing and change of the fluid level is within 3 mm (0.12 inch) .
  9. In case the following happens, leave it about half an hour and then do the previous step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts