Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Touring
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a new Forester within the next two months, timing dependant on a few external variables (like when my company car turns back into a pumpkin).

From all I have read and heard from a few friends who own them, I would be happy with either a 2010 2.5X Touring or SportTech, or a 2011 Touring (assuming this package carrys over with similar options for Subaru Canada).

What I want to know from you folks are opinions on the following accessories;

• Front hood deflector (as opposed to the 3M "NoChip" overlay material)
  • Sunroof wind deflector -do they really work?
  • Yakima roof rack. I already have the bars and some accessories, what I want are anchors that release/lock quickly. I was able to install/remove this rack on my 2002 CRV in about 45 seconds (basically as fast as I could walk around the vehicle) and I have yet to have found as nice a set-up since, from either Thule or Yakima. Yakima now has something called "RailGrabbers" -anyone used these? How well do they clear the sunroof?
  • Oh and the RallyArmor mud flaps look cool too -any user opinions?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5spd Manual
125 Posts
I just got my 2010 2.5x last week. Love it!

Get the 3M film for hood, bumper, mirrors, part of front fender.
Get the RA UR mud flaps - worth the investment. If you're in the GTA, Peter @ NextMod can hook you up. Check out the Toronto Subaru Club for details.

I purchased the factory roof rails, cargo mat from SGP. I have husky liners, will be adding my navi in and will be good to go.

G'luck w the new ride!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
well you're in Ontario definitely make sure to get the all weather package.

I have the front hood deflector and above anything it really looks nice.

I don't have the sunroof wind deflector and have no problems driving with the sunroof open (that and I really don't like the look of the giant bubble up there).

I'd suggest getting the factory crossbars and just using them to mount racks too

As far as the mu flaps go I'd say it's a must. Not only do they look nice but I've noticed since I installed them the side of the car takes a LOT less abuse from road debris and dirt.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
I drive an 09 Premium,
I like the factory rails with accessory crossbars. Didn't get the sunroof deflector. It looks too plasticky and bulky for me, and I think I would smash it with a surfboard. The factory sunroof has a little deflector bar that pops up when the sunroof is open, so that helps control the wind noise on the freeway and I have no complaints about it. It folds back in so the car is sleek again when the sunroof is closed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One of the reasons I really liked the Forester was for the huge sunroof. I was really worried about wind noise and spent a lot of time researching whether to get a sunroof deflector before I bought the car.

Having had it for a month now, and driving with the sunroof open A LOT (both on and off highway), I would say the wind noise has been surprisingly low and not an issue at all. IMO there is no need for the deflector, especially if you dont like the look of it...

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Touring
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments. The sunroof deflector question was a good one, since there is little way to know if you like it better or not until you have it (or drive someone else's car before/after). My gf drives an Impreza sport (smart girl), and I find the noise from her sunroof bothersome, which is what prompted the query.

Now if I can just find someone with firsthand experience with the new Yakima racks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts