Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy BMD
45 Posts
So my 2010 BM Legacy has DPF removed and ECU tune, I've been doing the reset every time i do oil change, but technically I don't need to do this right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can confirm this works on an Aussie delivered MY15 Forester 2.0DL

Little bit annoyed I had to do it though (more at myself if anything): love the Subaru brand but prior to the foz we had a diesel Captiva. In 6 years (despite it being a terrible car in the last 12 months) we only ever had an issue with the DPF twice early on, admittedly from short trips, and we just took it out for a long burn and sorted. But generally we were driving well enough to keep the DPF in check. I'd describe our driving as "extra urban"... certainly not the highway runs a diesel loves, but there is some freeway and 80kp/h roads that get driven. Upon choosing the forester diesel I had assumed our driving habits were OK and thought the Forester would manage the DPF even better than a Captiva.

Had no issues for 2 months, took it to a dealer for a service, then 1 month later we got the instant blinking DPF light. Dealer was "too busy" to just run the code, and then wanted $80. The light went away before we made it to a dealer anyway. I did a bit of research and assumed it was Oil dilution, spoke to the dealer again who swore they would have reset this.

A short while later the light came back on, and refused to go off. I checked the oil and it was well above the full mark (as high as the second twist on the dipstick). I had some leftover oil from the Captiva days, so I drained and replaced the oil, 5.9 litres as per spec (sits a little below full now). Just short of 8 litres came out.

Reset the oil dilution using this procedure and the light went off immediately!

I have a bluetooth reader on it's way so I'll set that up and see what the ECU is doing and keep a closer eye on the oil level. I'm just hoping that the dealer didn't reset it AND put too much oil in... a stretch but otherwise we're going to have to drastically change our driving habits and/or replace the oil more often (or buy a cheap beater for the shops which I am leaning towards).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a MY 2009 Suabru Forester Diesel.
I've trying to reset oil counter via reported demister/light procedure. But id doesn't work for Euro 4 2009 models.
Does anybody found out any alternative procedure?
I was wondering about ECU total reset ( vai battery disconnect). Do you think it may works resetting the oil dilution counter.

Reason: the car is old, I do oil change by myself, Subaru assistance is asking me a lot of money to do the reset via their tool.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.0 diesel manual 6 speed
78 Posts
Hi, see post #79: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2010-oil-change-on-diesel-engine-and-ecu-service-reset.77239/post-6184945

I have another question.

I have a 2011 model and i can track oil dilution over torque app. When i have changed oil approx 3000km ago, the oil dilution counter was automatically increased from 1500km to 15000km. Suggesting that the car recognized the oil change by itself and did the reset. I guess.

However, I could try the demister/light...procedure. Do you think it makes sense to do it now after 3000km has already been driven with this oil? I do my oil changes once every 10-12k km.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts