Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a roof rack, and the FXT comes with the raised factory rails. I have two options essentially.

1. OEM Round Crossbar Kit: Anyone have it? How's the fit and stability?

2. Yakima Railgrab: Presently installed on the vehicle, but I'm super sketched out by the fit (i've done a lot of reading on this and other sites and it seems that what I'm seeing is expected for this set-up, but I'm still leery.)

What will be going up there:

Yakima Skybox 11 and a fork mount bike tray.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I being paranoid?

P.S. Anyone want to buy a set of 1 year old Yakima Control Towers that came off my 08 WRX?

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well here's an update:

Still have the Yakima stuff up there. Drove to REI and had one of them check it out (turns out he was a subie fanatic and was really happy to help). We shook the heck out of the set-up . . . forward/backward pulls, side-to-side and it admittedly is quite solid. So I threw on a Rocketbox and drove home. Got home and it is still solid even with the added drag from the box so it should be good. I'll check again in a few days . . . .

·
Registered
'10 Forester
19 Posts
Yakima Railgrab: Presently installed on the vehicle, but I'm super sketched out by the fit (i've done a lot of reading on this and other sites and it seems that what I'm seeing is expected for this set-up, but I'm still leery.)
What was it that bothered you about the fit?

If you have a chance, would love to see a close-up pic of the rail grab attached to the factory rail.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I just put the Railgrabs onto my 08 yesterday, did you try the little foot and the big foot on the setup? I used the little foot and moved it around until it had a solid grip, then made sure theat the three spots were holding good.

Tightened it down and I could shake the car by the racks..
now I'm working on getting the Fairing to clear the moonroof..:biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Hello

Not sure why you doubting the Yakima railgrab set up. I have Yakima everything (basket now had a skybox 16) and it will hold a heavy load with easy.

I have taken my setup on some tough off road explorations and the Yakima has never moved nor given me a reason for concern.

Please PM me if you like. I do not work for Yakima but would like to help.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm just leery of the lack of "perfect" fit. As others have stated, the small claw is too small, and the large claw is too large. However, Yakima confirmed that the correct placement for my set-up is to use the step on the large claw. It is indeed pretty firm. I've secured the adjustment screws so that they are about 1 full turn past snug and grabbing the rack moves the whole car.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures but you can see a few others on here of what I'm talking about. Essentially the bottom of the claw hangs down below the rail and if you didn't know that there was a step there, it looks like its just resting on the rail and not really gripping it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts