Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had remote start systems on a couple of cars in the past, all of them aftermarket systems. My most recent install (10 years ago) was a system that was less reliable than desired. Recent additions to our fleet have me parking my FXT outside. A remote start system suddenly looked real enticing, and an OEM offering seemed to make the most sense due to warranty and familiarity with Subaru systems.

Not sure if this is an issue any longer, but while I was researching remote starts for my FXT, I read a bunch off posts about needing to restart the engine after opening the door on a remote started car using the OEM system. I was apprehensive at first but accepted that it was an "it is what it is" thing and just rolled with it.

I went to pick up the car after the install, where the service writer told me that the system they installed was a new system that doesn't shut the car down when you open the door. It kills the car when you step on the brake pedal to shift out of P. That seemed like a step in the right direction, as I could load the car and still have the engine running and warming things up. Cool.

I got in and did what had naturally been my sequence in remote started vehicles from the past... insert key, turn two clicks, step on brake, shift into gear, drive.

It worked.
It didn't shut off.

Subaru did not instruct me to do that sequence.
Is this how all systems are now? If yes, I don't see any posts saying that you can avoid the restart situation.

I'm stoked that I don't have to deal with what I had read about where folks have to restart after opening the door, and the shut off after pressing the brake can be avoided! (Yes, it does shut off if you press the brake any time BEFORE putting key in and turning to the run position)

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
28 Posts
2010 work like that. I have Forester premium and mine work like that. I had other car with aftermarket remote start and it worked like that too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts