Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Sorry for the ‘newbie’-ness, but my head’s spinning a bit with OBD-II. Point me in the right direction please if this has been discussed or has FAQs elsewhere.

I have a diesel forester and have been following the DPF woes (threads).

I’m looking for an OBD-II interface to log data, plot graphs and observe in ‘real time’ and was wondering which one was best for my needs. I wish to log data, for graphing and analysis. I would be happy to post data as well (e.g. on Subaru Diesel Crew). Also, I’d like to graph and/or display data in ‘real time’ whilst driving e.g. on a PDA/phone (not just on the Forester, I have a cold-running Mazda 3 and would like to watch the water temp).

I’m tossing up USB vs Bluetooth (BT), but would prefer both as I have a laptop and also a Symbian phone (N95), also probably to obtain an android phone in the near future.
I’ve looked online at some cheapies on Dealextreme , e.g. the $52.99 BT unit (SKU 16921) due to its size. There’s a number of others of varying types (all ELM clones, no doubt). This of course would be for talking to a PDA/phone in the car. I’ve seen it (or very similar) elsewhere advertised though a named company as well.

I’ve also browsed online genuine ELM units, the Tactrix 2.0, OBDPro, OBDKey, All-in-One, Scantool OBDLink, Laplogger and Proscan. I read the hardware comparison from GLM Software (OBD 2007). Plus software from the aforementioned hardware companies, OBD2007 and also OBDscope (Symbian) plus Torque (Android).

I note ScangaugeII is standalone and therefore I have discounted it.

Some queries:
* Which hardware units and software programs do people recommend? And why (briefly)?
* What’s the best ‘in car’ phone/PDA solution? I assume BT is the way to go here?
* What’s the best logging solution? Laptop? USB or BT?
* I believe the USB will probably be faster in communication, esp. With the faster units, but how slow are the BT units? Can I log effectively with BT? Can I get a USB/serial to BT converter (e.g. from RF Modules Australia) and use that for BT? Can you plug your own BT modules in and save a bit of cash?

Thanks,
Pitrack_1

·
Registered
MY07 79V XT Manual
17 Posts
I was searching and came across your post. Sorry to see no one responded to you. I'm now facing the same question for my 2007 XT.

Did you end up buying any of these you mentioned? If so, did you get a bluetooth unit, and which software did you pair it with?

·
Registered
02 Forester S 4eat
56 Posts
The PLX Kiwi works well. Or even cheaper is some of the $20-30 OBDII wireless interfaces sold on EBAY/Amazon. I use DashCommander with my I-phone. Alot of people use Torque for Android based units.

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
785 Posts
Scan gauge and ultra gauge are good for self contained observation.

Why do you need persistent logging?

·
Registered
MY07 79V XT Manual
17 Posts
The Bluetooth dongle connectors seem more interesting and long term valuable. Plus I wouldn't be paying for a screen twice since id be reusing my iPhone or iPad as a screen. Plus I could pair it with my laptop too if I needed to get raw log output or use a different app.

But you missed my main question , for scan gauge and ultra gauge how well do they support the custom codes of subaru ECUs? (Eg. All, some or none?) if some, which ones?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
The Bluetooth dongle connectors seem more interesting and long term valuable. Plus I wouldn't be paying for a screen twice since id be reusing my iPhone or iPad as a screen. Plus I could pair it with my laptop too if I needed to get raw log output or use a different app.
iphone/ipad devices use WIFI as their connection
android devices or laptops can use bluetooth

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
785 Posts

But you missed my main question , for scan gauge and ultra gauge how well do they support the custom codes of subaru ECUs? (Eg. All, some or none?) if some, which ones?

What custom codes? I don't know of anyone digging in to it. The only things I don't have and wish I did are oil pressure/temp and trans temp.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Automatic
26 Posts
Just a heads up, and I may be the only one, but I've had ZERO luck getting my ELM327 Bluetooth dongle to connect to my 2002 Foz.

Was just browsing CAN to USB cables actually and stumbled across this post.

BN

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,350 Posts
Curious... your public profile say '03, but you say '02 on this post. Is that correct? :confused:

Your '03 or '02 is OBD II & not CAN Bus. Perhaps that's your issue connecting to the ECM?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bluetooth obd-ii device and loggers

Ahem,
Hi and sorry for the late reply, just came back and saw the thread replies by chance.

Yes I have had some success, on a 2010 Forester Diesel. I use the following:
  • a generic Bluetooth device, similar to this one
  • torque pro on android, can access extended/custom PIDs and log data
  • Wobd2 / obdiicrazy on WinXP, can access but can't seem to log the extended PIDs
Have a look at my thread Pitrack_1's Saga: DPF regens vs performance & economy loss especially the later posts to see what I've done.

Was even able to read out, log and clear a (hopefully random) fault code that popped up today.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring HT-CVT
63 Posts
Hi guys I have a stock 14 FXT, what do I need to buy/ do to do some logs? Thx

I was wondering the same thing, and tried an ELM327 bluetooth dongle and the torque app for android this morning. It connected to the car and was reading data, but the car threw the CEL and hill assist lights, and had flashing sport mode and cruise lights as well. Clearly the ECU didn't like either the app or the bluetooth reader.

Maybe someone can chime in as to why this happened, I know the same lights come on if the gas cap is loose but that was not the case here. The light went off after letting the car sit for a couple hours but I did not actually log anything because of them.

Anyone else trying to log a 14+ XT without an AP??

·
Registered
2013 SJ Forester XT CVT
100 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
543 Posts
Obdlink mx, use wifi version for iOs. It will only read standard Obd PIDs but it's one of the fastest loggers out there because it reads via the CAN bus. I can get 6 parameters to read in 50ms intervals. Those cheap elm chips are slow and sloppy. You pay for what you get.

That has gotten horrible reviewsbut there appears to Be other obd wifi or Bluetooth options that work well with the dash commander app. None of these really can data log though, right?

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring HT-CVT
63 Posts
I'd like to say that I did get torque pro working properly on my fxt with the elm327 bluetooth dongle. I'm running it on my samsung tablet and it works great. It logs lots of info, only problem is there's no knock info which sucks.

Another big problem, I can't seem to get a good refresh rate, it seems like its reading the info every half second even when I turn the number of datapoints all the way up in torque. This means when taking a log of AFR you'll get 5 off the same number and then five more of another and so on. That's only logging RPM and AFR. Just the two. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, not sure.

The logs are pretty terrible but I could dig some up and post them if you're interested...

·
Registered
2013 SJ Forester XT CVT
100 Posts
That has gotten horrible reviewsbut there appears to Be other obd wifi or Bluetooth options that work well with the dash commander app. None of these really can data log though, right?
Really, obdlink mx Bluetooth has very good reviews on Amazon. The wifi version has got mixed reviews. What device are you running your diagnostics software on, android or iOS?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts