Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem hapened because of me. There is no good way to run a 12v wire through the firewall to wire a switch for my light bar. I had the wiper plastic off to clean all the dirt out and I decided to just drill a small hole through that space to the area behind the gauge cluster. Bad idea ----when the drill bit went through it sparked because it hit the wiring loom inside. I took all the stuff out of the way, found the two large white wires that got nicked and fixed them. I can't tell what circut they go to but I know one goes to the headlight relay under the hood in the fuse box. Anyway, after I fixed the damaged wires and reassembled stuthe key turned does not light up the instrument cluster and there's no power to the starter. It seems all the lights work including the 4way emergency set but the turn signals dont work and neither does the radio head or heat/ac moter. The horn works and the door locks work with the key fob but the elec windows don't work. Do you think it could be the cpu under the passenger floor boards or maybe the main relay? My obd reader acts like I forgot to plug it in so thats a dead end. Any other ideas. I don't know how to check the relay or the computer for that matter. Any constructive help would be welcome. I don't have the money to tow it to the Sub dealer so the repair will have to be on me. Thanks for your consideration.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,918 Posts
@Oleman I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

I have a few questions:
  1. Were any of the wires cut in 2, or were they just nicked by the drill bit?
  2. Any chance you have wires that were cut in 2 that you missed?
  3. You didn't mention any blown fuses. Did you find any that were blown?
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@2.5x_sleeper No Bobby there was only the two wires and they were just nicked so I taped em up so they couldn't touch each other or any other of the wires or anything else. None were parted and I checked all the fuses. I couldn't find any that were blown.

·
Administrator
36,918 Posts
@Oleman I'm leaning towards a blown fuse, but you might try a system reset first... just to make sure the issue isn't a system glitch caused by the wiring short.

Basically...
  1. Remove the battery ground cable.
  2. Press & hold the brake pedal down for 10 to 15 seconds. This is to drain any residual voltage thru the brake lights.
  3. Reconnect the battery ground cable.
Test to see if that above cleared your issues. If no, then time to look again for blown fuses.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2.5x_sleeper I've had the battery disconnected for three days. Tried a system reset. checked all the fuses. They are all intact.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@2.5x_sleeper no, I don't hear anything. the only two lights on the gauge cluster are the doors open indicator and the blinking security indicator. turning the ignition switch doesn't make any changes at all. Oh yeh, the red light around the key is also on and the red highlights in the radio do come on with the key switched on but the radio itself does not come on. Also the backing light does not come on in reverse. All the interior lights work as expected including the little door lites.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not aware of any fuse that controls the starter or even the entire gouge cluster. I am thinking they must be controlled by maybe the computer or possibly a main relay. The main relay is nestled down deep in its holder and I don't know how to get it out. I know how to get the computer out but I have no idea how to test it.
@Oleman just to throw something out there, check fuse SBF-6, 50A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

► Disclaimer - distance troubleshooting is always a guessing game!

Bobby...

Yes Bobby. You are right. Sbf6 is blown. I didn't know those are fuses. Never seen a fuse like those. I will get one and hopefully it will cure the prob

·
Administrator
36,918 Posts
@Oleman excellent! Let us know when you get it replaced & if that corrects your problems.

The SBF fuses are for high amperage, so they're different than the other low amperage fuses. The main SBF is 120A & it's bolted in! I've seen this fuse blow when the battery is jumped & the cables... +/- are reversed.

When we run wiring, from the cabin to the engine compartment, we've always been able to find a grommet that the wires can be run thru. Take a look at this post in my son's '03 X member Journal, scroll down to the 3rd & 4th pictures.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
36,918 Posts
@OlemanI just read your recent post, in another thread. Sounds like your issue has been resolved, so I'm going to add "SOLVED!" to your thread title.

Always good to have thread closure... "the rest of the story"!

Bobby...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts