Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently replaced both sway bar links on my sons forester he drove about 100 miles no problems then developed an intermittent clunking that i could feel through the floor, steering wheel, etc. no worse when turning. i removed the links and drove it on my road same as had yesterday when i got lots of the noise. no noises at all with links removed. bushings seem good but dry, i did hose them down with wd40 last night but there is no play in them. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to re-install the links real tight, test drove, no noise. I'm planning on having him drive it for a couple days then bring it in and re-tighten. sway bar bushings seem good, no play, cant slide it side to side.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
608 Posts
To test play on the sway-bar bushings and end-links, I drive the vehicle up on ramps, crawl underneath and whack the bar and links with a rubber mallet (not too hard, you don't want to bend or break anything). You hear pretty quick if there is play.
It's not whether the sway bar can move from side to side, it's more about whether there is play "up and down".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
while the links were out I tried to work it up and down and twisting, no play. not one noise on test drive. thanks for the replies. I'll be on here alot, 2 new to our kids Subaru's; 2012 legacy, 2010 forester.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts