Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 X Mt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to change the oil @7000km and found the filter covered in dirty oil, also there was oil splashed around the timing cover. Yikes; The dip level hadn't changed, so I snuck it over to the dealer. Mechanic said it's the camshaft seal most likely -- He says Subaru "lubes the pulley way too much" and it had shifted, allowing oil to leak through into the timing belt area. At least I think that's what he claimed was the problem -- Beyond basic maintenance I am a bit innocent mechanically.
Aw well I guess that's what a warranty is for. They gave me a loaner and are waiting on parts to be rushed in (a week or so). He says he's seen the same problem on an 09 Forester with only 4000km, and this one had blown the head gasket because oil had gotten in, stretched and corrupted the timing belt. . Any similar cases here? (Sorry if this is already the subject of an existing thread.)

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
On a 2010??

Not here. But you're kinda scaring me.

I'm glad the warranty has you covered. No doubt it's an isolated case. When you said the filter was covered in dirty oil, my first thought was that it wasn't put on correctly.

Weird. Keep us posted. :confused:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I'm not getting my head around how a stretched timing belt can blow a head gasket. Or how oil can break down aramid fibers in the belt. But I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
are you sure the oil you are seeing is not from dealer prep? did you look under the hood after buying it?

·
Registered
10 X Mt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you sure the oil you are seeing is not from dealer prep? did you look under the hood after buying it?
Yes, it's a proper problem -- it's at the dealer I bought it from awaiting parts now. Oil started leaking only after 7000km. The exact issue remains a bit unclear to me too - there was no time to grill the mechanic at length, and the service counter was swamped.
I'll get the full story this week and update.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
First, I'd never ever go back to the mechanic that told you those things.

I'd bet the mechanic over tightened the filter and it was just leaking around the oil filter gasket. What type of filter is on it?

Where on the timing cover was there oil? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
10 X Mt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked the car up today; All work covered by warranty.
Here's the dealer's report:

"Confirmed oil leak. Upon inspection noticed oil was coming out of the timing cover. Removed timing cover and inspected both cam seals and crank seals. Crank seal has been pushed out slightly, causing the seal not to function properly. The crank pulley has rubbed a layer off of the crank seal causing debris to be thrown around the inside of timing cover. Timing belt is also glazed with a coating of oil. Requires new crankshaft seal, waiting to hear from Sub Techline with regards to replacing the timing belt due to oil contamination. Replaced Front crank seal and timing belt. Reinstalled all timing components, cleaning oil from all parts and covers, etc. Started engine and checked for leaks - none found. Road tested and checked for leaks - none found. Good."

I drove it home today and once stopped I smelled burning oil, also a bit of smoke coming from the bottom of the timing cover. Checked everywhere, no visible oil leaks now so I think it must have been residual from before.
I sure hope so.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Timing belt is also glazed with a coating of oil.
If the timing belt has been contaminated with oil, it should be changed. Surprised they even bothered to ask.

I would not expect this belt to make it to 105K.

·
Registered
2010 2010 Forester
1 Posts
walkersbmc

Looking up "2010 Forester oil leak" and found website. Will be taking vehicle in this week and will relate problem when known. Vehicle has less than 8K miles and is virtually unused the past few months. I assume warranty will cover the problem.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Touring
1 Posts
I had a 2002 Forester and traded it for a 2011. Both developed an oil drip at about 70,000 miles. It is just a drip, and doesn't require more frequent oil changes yet. It stinks however. It makes the garage stink and the floor oily, so I park over cardboard. Shouldn't happen in a 20011 with only 82,000 miles. I am trading it in soon and I am looking at a Mazda or Nissan. Tired of the mess and smell and cost of the fix. They can't tell me for sure the source of the drip without expensive time in the service dept. How many people are having this problem? Is it just bad luck to have 2 in a row, or a known issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts