Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremAT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Alldatadiy.com, they show two types of grease necessary for proper pad installation:

Molykote M7439 (part number K0770YA000)
Molykote AS880N (part number K0777YA010)

I can find AS-880N on the Dow Corning site but nothing on the M7439. I cannot find a decent source for either. I take it this is strictly a dealer item?

Any recommended substitutes for these two?

Also, I see the AGS Sil-Glyde listed often for slide pins on this forum. I could not find a recommended grease in the service manual on AlldataDIY.com. Any other recommended options for the slide pins if I cannot find the AGS branded lube?

Dan

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremAT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Auto
49 Posts
I have had excellent results with the Sil-Glide brake lubricant and I do brakes on a regular basis for family and friends. I had to order it from Amazon because I could not find it local. The important thing is to use a quality synthetic grease designed for the high heat of brake systems and avoid petroleum based lubricants as they can deteriorate rubber seals and bushings as well as melt at a lower temp and drain out of wherever you have applied it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
984 Posts
I use Permatex 24115 Ultra Disk Brake Caliper Lube Hi-Temp Silicone Formula

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBGKH4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
490 Posts
Resurrecting an old post to update some info.
Molykote CU 7439 is available from Krayden.com in small packets.
It appears that Subaru keeps changing their suppliers of grease.
I have them all except 7439, which is a copper based grease and can be substituted with
other copper anti seize grease from LocTite. It's high temp and long lasting.

The others, NigLube, Molykote AS880N and Molykote Brake pin lube grease are more difficult to source.
I was able to get those from Japan, where they are made. Molykote brake pin grease is available on Ebay.
All of the above are better than SilGlyde or any other silicone base grease. Silicone drys out and just doesn't last
under heavy braking, heat and water.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
332 Posts
@Theseus161 Thanks.

Here's some additional info, as I recently sourced the recommended greases. Have half a tube of SilGlyde left but I've found over the years that it doesn't hold up well in Ohio salt spray. Hopefully the "OEM" greases do better.

Molykote AS880N (used on pad/caliper interfaces and pad/piston shim) is also available from Krayden in 50g jars - enough for many many brake jobs. They ship it from Japan. Subaru lists AS880N as an alternate to Molykote CU 7439 and the latest TSB on application of brake grease (06-68-19R) no longer mentions the CU 7439. Go figure.

A readily available, Subaru-approved, substitute for Niglube RX-2 (caliper pins) is Philips Multiplex Red #2. (renamed about a year ago to Multiplex 220 #2, but you'll still find it under the old name).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Niglube rx-2, red paste, is specd for the caliper pistons. Niglube RM orange, is for the pins.
A new Subaru tsb for brakes for certain MYs now does away with the extra shim and grease on the back of the pads. Copper grease on clip seats only. Molykote cu 7439 or equivalent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
332 Posts
Niglube rx-2, red paste, is specd for the caliper pistons. Niglube RM orange, is for the pins.
A new Subaru tsb for brakes for certain MYs now does away with the extra shim and grease on the back of the pads. Copper grease on clip seats only. Molykote cu 7439 or equivalent.
Where did you find the Subaru recommendation for Niglube RM? The 2019 Subaru recommended materials list calls out Niglube rx-2 for the guide pin.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I see Niglube on SUBARU’s 2019 RM list but I don’t see where they list guide pins? I’m looking at the 2019 list. Are you referring to another year?

SOA keeps changing recommended materials. I still have packets of Molykote brake caliper pin lube. It’s a green paste.

The Niglube Japanese website doesn’t specify where on the brakes to use their grease exactly.

The info I got was from a Google search. Someone posted the caliper rebuild kit instructions.

I have both Niglube RM and RX-2 greases. The red grease is included in the caliper rebuild kit. It’s probably safe to use either RM or RX2 since their both rubber safe Lithium soap based grease.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
332 Posts
Nothing wrong with any of the greases mentioned, I'd just not seen the Niglube RM grease listed by Subaru in any of my sources (Subaru Tech server, and NHTSA). I believe them to be current. Getting current and consistent information should not be this difficult.

You asked about where lubing the guide pins was mentioned. I've attached a PDF document with the "recommended materials" section from the 2019 shop manual. I downloaded this info from Subaru with the shop manual when I purchased three days of access back in May '19. It mostly matches what is in the Recommended Materials TSB (01-167-08R, 11/18/19) , and also includes detail as to where exactly the grease is applied. It doesn't cover greasing the pad/caliper interfaces, but that detail is covered in a third document, the TSB on brake pad lubrication (06-68-19R, 7/11/19).

Here are links to current versions (for now) of the two TSB's mentioned above.
Recommended Materials (TSB 01-167-08R)
Proper Grease Application during Brake Pad Installation (TSB 06-68-19R)

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Subaru information is always changing.
iirc, The Molykote as880n grease is no longer included in the new pad kits. I now see only Molykote cu copper grease and grease is no longer used on the back of the front pads. Subaru also does away with the second shims in many of the new pad kits F.
Thanks again for all the information.

·
Registered
490 Posts
How do you measure your brake wear?
I checked my front rotors with a micrometer. I’m at 22.4 mm. My pads 1.7mm. So I’m close to new pad and rotors limit. Next month for me.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual
65 Posts
I’ve just rebuilt front Calipers, and used Permatex’s ‘Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant’. Compatible with rubbers and can handle up to 3000 Deg F.

Also bought some Sta-Lube Brake and Caliper Grease to try. Says it contains Graphite, Moly, and PTFE.

Last grease I used was Sil-Glyde. It was ok, didn’t cake up, or cause any irregular pad wear. It would be fine for general use, but only if you cleaned and replaced the slide pin grease say roughly 18 months. It does change colour and dry out a bit, so there probably better stuff out there to use.

I tried to get Dow Corning stuff ages ago, but it’s a pain in the arse to get the stuff you actually want, and then for a reasonable price. I’m hoping the new Permatex stuff ends up being good.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
332 Posts
How do you measure your brake wear?
I checked my front rotors with a micrometer. I’m at 22.4 mm. My pads 1.7mm. So I’m close to new pad and rotors limit. Next month for me.
I do a visual check every 5K miles when I change oil and rotate tires. I'll likely check/lube brake components next time (when the weather is warmer), since this is the car's first winter and am curious how they fair with salty roads. Brakes on my prior cars needed much TLC due to the salt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts