Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,004 Posts
Clunking while turning tight corners (even after changing CV's) screams a center differential problem. I know with the manual transmissions the center diff works a differently than the AT versions. In AT's, it uses an electronically actuated clutch pack to send power to the rear. with MT's, it's all mechanically done. Since the differentials are so expensive, you may want to be absolutely sure you have the correct diff fluid in it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,004 Posts
Sounds good, I hope that solves the problem during turns.

Yep, I have a manual car parked in the garage now. Shifting with the clutch engaged increases syncro wear. Why? Because its pretty tough to exactly match everything up, at the correct time, even if your ginger about it....and when you leave the clutch engaged, the syncro will need to battle the rotational momentum of the engine which just blows through the syncro wear material. When you have the clutch disengaged, the syncro is just syncronizing the input shaft.

Best thing you can do for your syncros is double clutch (usually in a downshift), which spins up or down the input shaft as needed so the syncro doesn't need to work as hard.

just my 2 cents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.